More of the same at Canwest rags

More of the same at Canwest rags

Postby tuned » Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 am

From the Globe & Mail...

"The new owners are looking to rising ad revenues, a renewed emphasis on new media and traditional cost-cutting to boost returns and pay down debt."

In plain English, we're hoping that we can charge advertisers more, fire some employees and figure out the internet to float this boat. Same circus, different clowns.
tuned
Advanced Member

Re: More of the same at Canwest rags

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed May 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Except the man at the helm is known for success.
Google Paul Godfrey if you don't know what he's accomplished.
If anyone can make a brave attempt to salvage this dying industry, I'd put my money (if I had any) on him.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby RationalKeith » Tue May 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Print media certainly need to figure out the Internet, but I've seen few attempts that even come close. I don't think it is that difficult, there is an obvious model already on the Internet. But trying to charge full price or more for electronic versions of paper copies is a non-starter.

One modest start would be to hire web site designers who actually care about real users, beyond that the financial approach has to be determined.
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Postby RationalKeith » Mon May 24, 2010 1:59 pm

One phenomenon is newspapers having online comment sections. The Victoria Times Colonist had to change its approach to that: http://www.timescolonist.com/Changes+st ... story.html

Black Press found that out earlier, and the comment sections of the Seattle PI’s article pages still suffer from silliness (wild claims about one brand versus another, for example – a sensible person has to wade through much nonsense to get value from the feature).

But registration must be done well (I gave up on Canwest).
Advertising bots must be blocked (the purpose of the perennially poor entry characters on the Seattle PI’s pages).

The cost of moderation must be borne, persons familiar with the Compuserve forums from past decades know that – and that moderation can become its own vested interest by a clique or tyrant. I don’t recommend copying the competition in general, but learning from their mistakes may be a Very Good Idea.
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics