TRU Action Figure Controversy?

TRU Action Figure Controversy?

Postby Buckley » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:53 am

This is the type of stuff that makes it on the radio or apparently CNN on a slow news day (though when you're trying to pass off 45 minutes worth of news as 24 hours worth, when isn't it a slow news day?), but in case you hadn't heard the story I figured some of you might be interested if you a) enjoy the "Dexter" TV series, or b) are a parent and would like to weigh in on this topic.

Recently, a man from Ohio discovered a "Dexter Action Figure" at his local Toys R Us while out purchasing more things for his collection. I created a "video" sharing my feelings on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBcnHVsjo9g

I put "video" in quotes because this is meant as an audio rant for my website full of other audio rants, but some of the ones I think might have more appeal than others, I create a sort of slide show to go along with them (some of you might have watched my "How Not To Get A Job In Radio" video, same sort of thing here).

Anyway, for those of you who don't like YouTube (or it's blocked at your workplace where you may be reading this), the ridiculous part of this is:
- Much like cartoons, toys are barely for kids anymore. Adults probably purchase more action figures for themselves these days than they do for kids.
- Toys R Us sells far worse things than an action figure sculpted to look similar to a fictional serial killer that murders other serial killers. The video game aisle is full of entertainment that's not for children (a lot of it more graphic than the Dexter TV show, never mind a toy with a couple red blotches that are supposed to look like blood).

I really haven't seen many people that have sided with Mr. Schultz on this yet, so I'd be interested if anyone shares the opinion that an action figure made for adult collectors should not be sold at Toys R Us. That said, all comments are of course welcome.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Return to Non Radio Related Topics