White Spot Returns to Edmonton

White Spot Returns to Edmonton

Postby jon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Original Title: Edmonton White Spot Becomes IHOP

Just when Edmonton could start bragging that we are "White Spot-free", we get an IHOP, on December 20th. Especially interesting when you consider that the custom-built premises for our one and only former (B.C.-based) White Spot are now to be the home of IHOP's first location in the Canadian Prairies, at 3921 Calgary Trail in Edmonton.

Not that I dislike White Spot. I frequented this location frequently after it first opened in August 2001. But, by 2004, after a needless renovation, pretty much all of the great staff had either left or transferred to the Leduc location, which is where I have been going whenever I need a White Spot fix. Especially since a Save-On opened up near my home, and White Spot gives you the most dollars in gift cards for your Save-On More points.

Alberta used to have another White Spot chain. Mediocre is being kind. The last Edmonton location was turned into a Don Cherry's in the late '80s. The Calgary locations, and the chain itself, were all gone by the early '90s.

Not sure what gives with the B.C. White Spot chain. Their web site now lists 3 Alberta locations, the one I mentioned in Leduc, and two in Calgary. I'm sure the former Edmonton location was corporate-owned, as it originally housed the District Office for North Eastern B.C. and Alberta. But the White Spot web site talks about franchising opportunities: "Franchise opportunities are available for a minimum investment. The Initial Fee is $75,000 and a capital investment of $900,000 and up is required."

The Edmonton Journal article is all about the new IHOP: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Fir ... story.html
I haven't been inside one since 1973 when my pancake at a New Westminster location arrived with a complementary hair that was at least 2 feet in length (those were the days before metric). Maybe I'll relent and try it out. My wife of 34 1/2 years has never been to one. 'Bout time.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Edmonton White Spot Becomes IHOP

Postby drmusic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 pm

I really wonder how, even with IHOP's name recognition, it plans to enter a virgin territory like the prairies and differentiate itself in a world of Denny's - Smitty's - Humpty's - Perkins - etc.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:49 pm

The franchisee seems to think that Prairie Canadians have gone to IHOP on trips to the U.S. and loved them, so will welcome them with open arms here.

Much as White Spot expected name recognition from locals who had visited Vancouver and gone to a White Spot. So much so in White Spot's case, that I don't recall them doing any advertising when they arrived here. Or after.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:30 pm

How has Humpty's stayed in business all these years? They have to be the worst.

I've never seen a Perkins in BC or AB, or Washington state.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:46 am

radiofan wrote:I've never seen a Perkins in BC or AB, or Washington state.

I checked... there is one each in Kelowna, Calgary, Medicine Hat, and Regina. But Winnipeg is thick with them.

EDIT: And six in Washington, half of those in Spokane.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:54 am

radiofan wrote:How has Humpty's stayed in business all these years? They have to be the worst.

I've never seen a Perkins in BC or AB, or Washington state.

No argument on Humpty's. I tried them twice on coupons, at two different locations, when they opened here in Edmonton. Really bad.

In the late '90s, I ate at Perkins in Calgary a few times. Just South of the airport. Nice.

A quick look at their site indicates other locations in Medicine Hat, Kelowna (only B.C. location), Spokane (3), Ellensburg, Ritzville and Moses Lake. That's the complete list of B.C., Alberta and Washington locations. Others can be seen here:
http://www.perkinsrestaurants.com/locations

Looking back at drmusic's comment, Denny's has four locations in Edmonton and two in Sherwood Park (suburb), but only two in Calgary; Smitty's has 7 locations in Edmonton, not counting the suburbs. We also have Albert's Family Restaurants, which is a local chain with 14 locations. Never been, but it has a good reputation.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:59 am

I guess we should add Ricky's to the list too.

In Saskatchewan, of all the chains, Smitty's is the most visible, with six in Regina, five in Saskatoon, two in Moose Jaw, and locations in several other smaller communities.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:08 am

Yes, definitely Ricky's. Can't get in the place anytime around lunch on weekends.

Though clearly delivering a different product, Cora's is a breakfast place first and foremost. They close at 3 p.m. With a whole bunch of openings in the last month or so, they now have 8 locations in Alberta, plus two in Winnipeg. In all, 121 locations in Canada! http://www.chezcora.com
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 am

jon wrote:Though clearly delivering a different product, Cora's is a breakfast place first and foremost. They close at 3 p.m. With a whole bunch of openings in the last month or so, they now have 8 locations in Alberta, plus two in Winnipeg. In all, 121 locations in Canada! http://www.chezcora.com

Can't be any good if they just skipped over Sask like that while working their way west. ;)
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Well, I finally got there: Edmonton's first IHOP. Almost a surrealistic experience from what the White Spot looked like inside. All walls and features, most notably a fountain and the bar, are gone, giving it a much more spacious feel, with wide aisles and an open approach. I am pretty sure they recycled the White Spot seating.

Nice place. The 55+ menu is especially handy for slightly smaller portions.

Music was interesting. In nearly an hour there, it was all '60s except for a couple of early '70s songs (Dobie Gray from 1973 and a rarely played early Steely Dan hit) and 2-3 '50s songs.

I overheard a server saying that a location is opening in Sherwood Park soon. Unfortunately, ihop.com says that my closest IHOP is in Kelowna. So, I'm not sure where to go for up to date info. Parkerhouse Holdings of Lethbridge owns the Prairie IHOP franchise but doesn't appear to have a web site.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby TRENT310 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm

While they tend to bill themselves as a breakfast restaurant, is a normal evening menu still offered? Sorta like the other ones.
TRENT310
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:16 pm

I haven't set foot inside an IHOP since the one in New Westminster about the time Dobie Gray originally came out with "Drift Away" (without Uncle Cracker), so I can't say from personal experience.

But I took a look at the U.S. menu and the Edmonton IHOP seems to have a (perhaps slightly abbreviated version of the) dinner menu. I was there just before 5 p.m. this evening and the menu seemed to have everything in it. I had Senior Omelette (no, not a Mexican dish) which comes with 2 pancakes, and my wife had four larger pancakes.

All that said, I do remember seeing half or more, perhaps all, of the following items from the U.S. dinner menu:
http://www.ihop.com/index.php?option=co ... 9&Itemid=2

It is a good sized menu, no question. I think every 55+ U.S. menu item was there:
http://www.ihop.com/index.php?option=co ... 1&Itemid=2
jon
Advanced Member

Postby another dog » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 pm

The New West IHOP is always a favourite with me and the Mrs., Jon. Although a really breakfast type
restuarant, I must try to get RF in there for a bite.
Well RF, or are you still up for the Chinese fare? Either way, I'm up for it.

A.D. :cheers:
CKDJ RADIO P.D. ( 1967 ) for Metropolitan Burnaby
another dog
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:29 pm

I'll take a pass on the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity IHOP in New West ...
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:11 pm

I will admit that I'm still choking on the German Pancake (you know, the one with the Herr in it) I was served on my last visit to the New West IHOP in the early '70s.
jon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Non Radio Related Topics