Thick Skin Discussion

Thick Skin Discussion

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:57 am

by Jack Bennest » 22 Dec 2010 05:44 pm

I noticed that the other board is short a few too. I could say sports guys don't hang here. not board types.

I saw alot of quotes in the papers and tweets on the twitter board - much is changing in the "ether".

Boards are places for people with thick skins - every day someone here is asking someone to leave. Too bad really.

Respect is needed.

It would be nice if dr sport, mckeech, forstie, etc would hang here but alas - they do not.

by Mike Cleaver » 22 Dec 2010 08:26 pm

I think respect or lack of it is why many people don't post or have stopped posting here.
This same discussion is going on at another board that I frequent, an international one for people interested in audio and recording.
Newbies who know nothing trash industry professionals, causing a lot of them to leave and thereby weaken the chances of others to learn from those who are doing it and have done it and have the gold and platinum records to prove it.
It's been suggested there that people should post using their real names so that others can Google who the posters are and what qualifications they have.
It's fine to have a discussion and express different points of view but to simply come here and trash people is not cool.
"Truth is the ultimate defense."

PMC private messaged me this morning to ask for an explanation on just what I am talking about and with the permission of Cleaver I have included his post which relates to mine. I also wanted to take this conversation away from a thread on Paul's passing. Does not seem appropriate.

I was suggesting that it would be nice if there were certain areas on a board like this that people could comment and control the conversation. At the moment anyone can come on and say just about anything. Some people are sensitive to criticism and they may leave or never join a board. Would be nice to have open forums and ones that you get invited to.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Thick Skin Discussion

Postby Paul P » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:28 am

Whatever, mom.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Paul calls me mom

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:35 am

Paul - are you my long lost son..... or daughter? :Xwin:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:50 am

Jack Bennest wrote:by Jack Bennest » 22 Dec 2010 05:44 pm

I noticed that the other board is short a few too. I could say sports guys don't hang here. not board types.

I saw alot of quotes in the papers and tweets on the twitter board - much is changing in the "ether".

Boards are places for people with thick skins - every day someone here is asking someone to leave. Too bad really.

Respect is needed.

It would be nice if dr sport, mckeech, forstie, etc would hang here but alas - they do not.

by Mike Cleaver » 22 Dec 2010 08:26 pm

I think respect or lack of it is why many people don't post or have stopped posting here.
This same discussion is going on at another board that I frequent, an international one for people interested in audio and recording.
Newbies who know nothing trash industry professionals, causing a lot of them to leave and thereby weaken the chances of others to learn from those who are doing it and have done it and have the gold and platinum records to prove it.
It's been suggested there that people should post using their real names so that others can Google who the posters are and what qualifications they have.
It's fine to have a discussion and express different points of view but to simply come here and trash people is not cool.
"Truth is the ultimate defense."

PMC private messaged me this morning to ask for an explanation on just what I am talking about and with the permission of Cleaver I have included his post which relates to mine. I also wanted to take this conversation away from a thread on Paul's passing. Does not seem appropriate.

I was suggesting that it would be nice if there were certain areas on a board like this that people could comment and control the conversation. At the moment anyone can come on and say just about anything. Some people are sensitive to criticism and they may leave or never join a board. Would be nice to have open forums and ones that you get invited to.

I'd be up for sections of the board where it's real names only (I don't really have to change much for my username), and you actually have to be an industry professional (or be a former professional with proof/endorsement from someone else who's proven to be one), or be invited. You're right, it's sad when you have "trolls" coming in here just because they're bored or have nothing better to do with their days, driving off members that are actually established because they don't want to put up with it and quite frankly, don't have to. They've got better things to do. I've got enough things to manage at work, luckily as a younger member of the biz, and someone who's used to this type of behavior on the internet, I can generally just ignore it, but I can understand why someone who's over say... 35, 40... or someone who didn't grow up an avid internet user in general would come to boards like this, see... certain people... and just be like "piss on this, I've got better things to do with my time".
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:05 pm

Why don't those of you that are so 'name-centric' take the initiative and start your own board instead of wanting someone else to do it for you.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:16 pm

The other possibility is the use of moderators. It can be a slippery slope and I know that with other boards it can lead to people banning/removing users for opinions that differ from their own (many people have mentioned that from the other board), but the right people in that position may help the culture around here a little more. I don't think anyone's annoyed with people posting here that are either not in the business or just starting out in the business, just so long as they're respectful and not just intentionally derailing conversations and being a nuisance.

If only people just had better things to do with their day than join a forum for radio professionals, with a predominant focus on stations in the west, to just bother people. I wish I had the time. :)
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Kim Seale » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:09 pm

It sure would be something to see the real names of some of the posts on this site. There are some very mean spirited people on this board sometimes.
Kim Seale
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:15 pm

Kim Seale wrote:It sure would be something to see the real names of some of the posts on this site. There are some very mean spirited people on this board sometimes.

Like Kim said.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:18 pm

I agree with Kim... If you have something to say but have to say it anonymously, maybe you shouldn't be saying it. Just sayin...

Meantime, a very Merry Christmas to all on Radio West... and particularly to the kind souls who run it and contribute the regular features. All the best in 2011!

Cam McCubbin
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:23 pm

"I may disagree with what you may say, but I will defend to my death, your right to say it!" Familiar ring to it? Hope I got it close to right. And I too have been banned from the "other" board for something or other..... but yet the moderator and owner of that board is a "friend" on Facebook.

I have a huge respect for everyone who works in the broadcast industry. People often forget who we invite into our homes, cars and places of business on a regular basis for entertainment, companionship, information and sometimes, provocation! I am truly lucky to have lived through some of the best of times in radio in Vancouver - from the late 50's on! My first radio memory is of Ross Mortimer and Kiddies Karnival, so that sort of pegs my age.

Opinions differ on a wide range of subjects, and that is what makes visits to this board interesting. Respect for one another should be a given! I suspect at some level, it is!

A very Merry Christmas to everyone on Radio West.

Donald R.
Donald R
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:42 am

My ............. :presents2: what a respectful thread - no trolls. Merry Xmas to all.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:59 pm

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to Radio fan. Mike Cleaver - Neumann Sennheiser, Mr. Bennest and a bunch of other classy people I met over the Years.

I am out of the business now, and while I sincerely admire and respect a TON of the great people here.

This is my final post.

I have moved on - and I am starting to come off as a bitter old dude, and I am not.

It is a business that I no longer recognize. Time for me to get outa here.

I worked too many 6 and 7 day weeks, and for a lot of years, I actually enjoyed it.

In the end, I was waiting for the hook to come out from the side of the stage.

The above mentioned folks are sterling individuals.

I have a particular soft spot for Sennheiser - BOY, did we have fun, eh?

The best part of my years - had to be the people, in the trenches.

Good luck and best for you and your Family in the future.

Adios.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Hagopian:

I'm disappointed to see you leaving.

Like you, I'm out of the business for the last few years, and into something else highly challenging. It is the connection to you and several others that keeps me popping in to see creative posts from the same creative minds I worked with at CKVN/CFUN .... and yes, Neumann, and all the other guys that come along here every now and then sure had fun didn't we?

All the best to you my friend, and may your new venture bring you another phase of a long and well done career.

My best wishes will accompany you.

Regards from your long time buddy who now is known only as,
Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:30 pm

Donald R wrote:"I may disagree with what you may say, but I will defend to my death, your right to say it!" Familiar ring to it? Hope I got it close to right. And I too have been banned from the "other" board for something or other..... but yet the moderator and owner of that board is a "friend" on Facebook.
Donald R.

Just to set the record straight, I was not banned from PSR, but due to a technical glitch my access was denied. I made the cardinal mistake of assuming this denial of access was done by the board owner. This has been rectified. I apologize to the owner of that board for making a statement here, that in fact, was not true.

Donald R
Donald R
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Donald R wrote:due to a technical glitch my access was denied. Donald R

How do you know this highlighted statement is true?
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Non Radio Related Topics