Now, here is the news - McKitrick

Veteran broadcaster Mike Cleaver is doing a series of interviews with long time west coast broadcasters. These interviews are a joint project between Mike Cleaver, BCRadioHistory.com and RadioWest.ca. New iinterviews are being added weekly.

Now, here is the news - McKitrick

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:36 am

Mike talks to McKitrick

John McKitrick - CJNB North Battleford SK 1953-55; CHAB Moose Jaw SK 1955-57; news CKNW New Westminster 1957-58; news CKWX Vancouver 1958-60; news CJCA Edmonton 1960-62; news/assignment editor CKNW 1962-90; night school instructor broadcast journalism British Columbia Institute of Technology 1992 on; retired

Thanks to radiofan, McKitrick, gord lansdell and of course Mike Cleaver
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Now, here is the news - McKitrick

Postby Bruce Hood » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:39 pm

Nice interview, John I know that I probably curled a few hairs when I was reporting to you.By the way..can you still catch flies? [SendTo=][SendTo=][SendTo=][/SendTo][/SendTo][/SendTo]..BMH
Bruce Hood

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Bruce I will send your message to McKitrick
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

So much fun to work with in the newsroom at Mcbride. A real pro, and a funny guy too. I've told this story too many times but.....when I started at NW, they had a softball team that used
to play over at Hume Park. I was pretty new at the station, but went out to play ball with the group, I get to the game a little late, Mckit's playing first base. He boots a ball or misses a throw or something,
(not that it was the World Series or anything), but he comes off the field and he is steamin' hot, like only Mckit could get, cursing his glove, himself, you know the drill. Says to me, Lee "can you go in for me"?
I said sure John, what, for an inning or 2? He replied; "No, forever! I don't think he played much anymore after that. I might have paraphrased the quote a little, but still pure Mckit. Where are the characters and professional personalities like that these days? Maybe that's why Frosty says:" you can't miss what doesn't exist anymore."
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby FORMER-BOSSJOCK » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 pm

I first worked with John in Edmonton at CJCA.What I noticed right away was the difference between JM on the air and JM off the air. Off the air he was a fun loving rascal. On the air he was this incredibly intense ( veins popping on the forehead and neck ) deliverer of the news. We the DJ's ( the unruly bastards that we were ) tried every which way to break him up. Setting fire to his copy was the least of it. We went to great lengths. It was like a military campaign. Nothing worked. He was so focused. We finally gave up and moved on to targets who were less dedicated. John is the ultimate Pro and a real nice guy. JH
FORMER-BOSSJOCK

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm

I hope Mike gets to you soon Jim
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Return to Mike Cleaver's Radiographies