Radiographies by Mike Cleaver on LG73 Internet Radio!

Veteran broadcaster Mike Cleaver is doing a series of interviews with long time west coast broadcasters. These interviews are a joint project between Mike Cleaver, BCRadioHistory.com and RadioWest.ca. New iinterviews are being added weekly.

Re: Radiographies by Mike Cleaver on LG73 Internet Radio!

Postby slowhand » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:
Steve Sanderson wrote:
Jack Bennest wrote:To be fair LG73 - the complete collection of Mike Cleaver Broadcast icon interviews are here on Radiowest and you can listen to them anytime. Is that not more convenient?

hosted by http://www.bcradiohistory.com

Exactly!

What George said.

What Gracie said.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:To be fair LG73 - the complete collection of Mike Cleaver Broadcast icon interviews are here on Radiowest and you can listen to them anytime. Is that not more convenient?

hosted by http://www.bcradiohistory.com

Clearly you all missed the whole point of Phil posting this update. Certainly you can hear it on demand, but a west coast Internet station has decided to carry these interviews as a show in one of their time slots and expose more listeners other than just us radio geeks to these great clips. Plus, to hear it in Gerdophonic Stereo (the kickass LG73 audio processing) makes it for a much better listening experience! :glasses7:

Anyways, Phil is still gonna run it, and it's still gonna sound like real radio.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 pm

CKNF wrote:Clearly you all missed the whole point of Phil posting this update. Certainly you can hear it on demand, but a west coast Internet station has decided to carry these interviews as a show in one of their time slots and expose more listeners other than just us radio geeks to these great clips. Plus, to hear it in Gerdophonic Stereo (the kickass LG73 audio processing) makes it for a much better listening experience! :glasses7:

Anyways, Phil is still gonna run it, and it's still gonna sound like real radio.

Whatever. :drunken:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Ross Ewage » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:03 pm

I thought most kids gave up playing radio in their basements once the were about 14 or 15. Most of us even came up with original names for our radio stations, we didn't have to pretend we were in some way related to or were affiliated with a real station.
Ross Ewage
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:49 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Whatever. :drunken:

I agree drinking with Howaboutthat would be interesting

Can I add the most relevant question? :walk: ~~ Will there be more Mike Cleaver interviews? Many broadcasters waiting for the call I am
sure.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 pm

I gave permission for LG73 to broadcast the interviews in the spirit of allowing more options for listeners.
The interviews are preceded and followed by the announcement about non commercial use and mention the co-operative nature of the venture with Jack's BC Radio History site as well as here at RadioWest and Northwest Broadcasters sites and access from those sites.
Anyone is free to re-transmit these interviews by any means after gaining permission, as long as the use is non commercial.
Yes, there will be more interviews.
I would like to resume in June after things settle down a bit after my recent life changing experience.
Terry Bell still is in the can and will be the next interview posted.
Looking forward to seeing old friends and prospective interviewees at the upcoming RPM Lunch on May 17th.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby LG73 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:20 am

Today and Saturday on LG73 Internet Radio: Jolly John Tanner is interviewed by Mike Cleaver. Jolly John is a radio legend in this town and has great stories to share. Enjoy the show at 12 noon today and 6 p.m on Saturday on LG73 in your choice of 128k pure AAC, 40k HE-AACv2 or 48k mp3PRO. Great for in-car listening with the Gerdophonic processing! For iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch check out Greg Ogonowski's awesome app StreamS where you'll find LG73 in the Featured Stations section (as well as in the Hits and Eclectic genres). StreamS uses the genuine Fraunhofer/Dolby decoder for excellent audio quality with the 40k HE-AACv2 stream.

LG73 is also available on Blackberry in the Nobex Radio Companion, can be found in iTunes and on AppleTV (in the Eclectic genre), and is in the Shoutcast and Icecast directories. There are also direct links to .pls files to launch the streams on the LG73 site. It may not be as easy as AM or FM yet, but it's getting closer.

In my car I have my iPhone 4 hooked up to the AUX input via a Kensington Liquid Aux. This gizmo connects to the phone with a single dock connector plug, gets the high quality line out audio feed and charges the phone! There's also a remote control you can strap onto the steering wheel to control the iPod part of the phone. The combination is immune to GSM noise on the stereo in my car. Internet Radio is crystal clear and the 40k HE-AACv2 is very stable over Fido 3G.

Internet Radio is experiencing huge growth and while it might seem like something for kids playing in a basement, it can be much more.
Cheers,

Phil
LG73 - Vancouver's Hit Music Mix - http://www.LG73.ca/
LG73

Postby Howaboutthat » Thu May 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Just curious mr lg73... Do people pay to advertise on Internet radio, like you're apparently doing here for free?
If so, do you see anything wrong with that?
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby LG73 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:Just curious mr lg73... Do people pay to advertise on Internet radio, like you're apparently doing here for free?
If so, do you see anything wrong with that?

There are no paid ads on the LG73 stream. The only ads you'll hear are ones contained within one show called Top of the Charts with Jeremy Bradley. He keeps any money from those ads for himself and in exchange offers the show for free. He's from Winnipeg but always speaks highly of Vancouver so I'm happy to have his show on LG73. All of the presenters on the station are volunteers who are there to have fun and hopefully entertain the smattering of listeners.

We also have a vibrant little community who frequent the LG73 Internet Relay Chat.

I pay for LG73 Internet Radio out of my own pocket. Consider filing it under the category of personal amusement. I do have some Google Ads on the station website but to date have never seen a dime for them. I would love to see it turn into a revenue generating venture one day and be able to pay the presenters but at this time have no idea if and when that will happen.

With that in mind, I see no problem promoting Mike's excellent interviews airing on LG73 Internet Radio on this forum but if it turns out the site owners don't like that I'll stop. While people on this site can easily download the interviews for on-demand listening at any time, having them air on LG73 expands the potential audience beyond the confines of the site. It's also safer and more convenient for in-car listening and the audio processing makes for an enhanced experience.
Cheers,

Phil
LG73

Postby cart_machine » Mon May 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Ross Ewage wrote:I thought most kids gave up playing radio in their basements once the were about 14 or 15. Most of us even came up with original names for our radio stations, we didn't have to pretend we were in some way related to or were affiliated with a real station.

I worked with Phil for a number of years. I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong but he I believe he picked the moniker as a tribute a time in the '60s when radio was fun and full of entertaining jocks, instead bland, drowning in a forest of liner cards and playing the same 200 songs selected by an American consultant.

I didn't realise an internet station was "playing radio." There's plenty of internet radio out there, with music (and talk) formats to fit almost everyone. For example, I listen to a station that streams music of the 20s and 30s. I doubt the operators are "about 14 and 15."

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Wed May 11, 2011 10:33 am

cArtie,

That's what happens when someone pokes their head in out of nowhere and blurts out comments without thinking or knowing the facts first. LG73 is actually a very sophisticated setup and is not some guy's PC sitting in a basement somewhere steaming out a repetitive playlist. (Not that there's anything wrong with that either)
LG73 has full time dedicated servers using cutting edge technology. The station is a featured station on some of the top streaming apps for the iOS and is also a well established online station celebrating its 9th anniversary yesterday. The folks who run LG73 are in fact individuals who work or have worked in the industry. Many of the presentations on LG73 are live with scheduled encores.

I myself am not a broadcast veteran. I am a past hobbyist micro caster and someone who follows the industry closely for the sake of interest. I love radio and for me, It is a great privilege and an honour to be one of LG73's on air presenters.

Anyways, I do not wish for this thread to steer south. Therefore, I will no longer comment on that matter. Now...back to Mr. Cleaver!

Cheers.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed May 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Starting to like the sound of that descriptive title "presenter".
So veddy, veddy British and all, wot?
Better than "disc Jockey". a term that doesn't mean anything now.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed May 11, 2011 1:41 pm

As someone who is acutely aware of my internet ratings I would like to know how many
listeners LG73 has or any of "the not over the air broadcasters" are getting for an audience.

On a given day - how many people/unique visitors tune in - what is the total audience in a month.

It is one thing to say you have fine equipment, hard drives and programming. But to what avail?

The questions and back and forth on the thread should be taken as interest not criticizm.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby LG73 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:As someone who is acutely aware of my internet ratings I would like to know how many
listeners LG73 has or any of "the not over the air broadcasters" are getting for an audience.

On a given day - how many people/unique visitors tune in - what is the total audience in a month.

It is one thing to say you have fine equipment, hard drives and programming. But to what avail?

The questions and back and forth on the thread should be taken as interest not criticizm.

Hi Jack,

The numbers are microscopic compared to regular radio. LG73's monthly 30 day rolling total streaming hours has varied from a low of around 4000 to a high of just over 16,000. As far as number of concurrent listeners, that depends on the show. The current top-rated show peaks between 30 and 40 streams. How many listeners that amounts to is a bit of a mystery. Most Internet Radio operators assume only 1 listener per stream which I don't believe is a valid assumption. For example, one friend e-mailed in from a party with more than 40 people where they had LG73 blasting off the stereo system. While many people might be listening alone many more aren't.

As far as number of unique visitors, that's averaging just over 100/day for LG73. On the two Icecast streams that are monitored with CentovaCast, the stats presently show 3175 unique streamers from 91 unique countries! I don't currently have similar stats available from the 40k Shoutcast stream.

The potential for bigger numbers with Internet Radio exists. One of my presenters, Big Joe has his own country station on Live365 that peaks at over 1000 concurrent streams and presently has 236,531 total streaming hours (30 day rolling). That is exceptional performance: his station is 2nd overall on that service in number of streaming hours.

Most Internet Radio streams have very small numbers but that doesn't stop the fun! If my presenters have fun doing their shows and can brighten the lives of a small group of people, then "it's all good."
Cheers,

Phil
LG73

Postby LG73 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 am

Today (May 12th, 2011) on Radiographies by Mike Cleaver on LG73 Internet Radio: John Ashbridge! John is the PA announcer for the Canucks at Rogers Arena. John's radio career ran from 1960 to 2005 including BC radio stations CJVI, CFAX, CJOR, CFUN, CJCI in frosty Prince George and four different times at CKNW.

I met John back in the late 70s when I was amongst a small group of people "playing radio" at Langara College on "CNBC, the College Network of British Columbia." A lofty title for a PA system setup that included the Langara and VVI campus cafeterias. John was teaching a radio journalism course at Langara. With his radio background he acquired the dubious honour of being the faculty member in charge of our motley group of students running CNBC. I remember John scored us some vintage Stan Davis gear from CKNW.

John was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005 by the RTNDA. This is a great interview you'll enjoy in "Gerdophonic" on LG73 Internet Radio today at 12 Noon Pacific and then repeated Saturday, May 14th, 2011 at 6 p.m. Pacific.

LG73 Internet Radio has 3 streams to choose from: 40k HE-AACv2 Parametric Stereo, 48k mp3PRO, and the stellar sounding 128k AAC-LC Stereo stream. That latter stream has had a technical change this week resulting in a change in the "Icecast mount point." A small number of listeners have reported problems with their player preset for 128k LG73. The links on the LG73 site (and the .pls files they point to) will direct you to the correct mount point. The iTunes Radio Tuner (and corresponding Radio tuner in AppleTV) will automatically find the relocated 128k stream.

Join in the fun on LG73 at http://www.LG73.ca/ or enjoy all of Mike's interviews at your convenience by downloading them from this site.
Cheers,

Phil
LG73

PreviousNext

Return to Mike Cleaver's Radiographies