(Reformed "Ludite") Going Off-Line

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

(Reformed "Ludite") Going Off-Line

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks for the ride - In a private message on Sunday,to both radiofan and Jon I mentioned that I was going off-line; The PC will be going elsewhere and the high-speed connection will be cut.
The last six months have been fun; But this "Ludite" (reformed; I don't smash new technology - I just ignore it as long as possible) will be doing other things with my free time.
Each one of you have made posting on RW very interesting - there have been comments, mostly positive; but some that questioned my postings. These comments have made for lively discussions.
So Tape Splicer's membership on this site is coming to an end as of this post. I don't know if the name and password is kept in an inactive file or removed - that is Jon and radiofan's department - I leave it to them.
So all that is left to say is "ciao amici".
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: (Reformed "Ludite") Going Off-Line

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:15 pm

O tell us who your (are) were and be done with it

Jack
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:45 am

Well Tape Splicer ... let me say I enjoyed your being here ... anyone who knows what a splice block is for can't be all bad!

Regards,
AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:09 am

Anotherwpgguy wrote:... anyone who knows what a splice block is for can't be all bad!

It's for scraping your knuckles bloody while slicing the tips of your fingers with a dirty razor.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 am

Jack Bennest wrote:O tell us who your (are) were and be done with it

Jack

what terrible english :pottytrain2: and no one to correct me ( meow )

Oh tell us Tape Slicer - man of the block - who you are (were) and be done with it! :towel:

Have a good vacation and come back soon :groovy:

Cheers customers :occasion5:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 pm

Anybody who remembers splicing blocks and razor blades may also recall that "generation loss" was something that went... kinda sorta... unspoken. Meanwhile, who discovered that running two decks at the same time with the same content and delaying the one a tad by applying finger pressure to it and recording to a third deck or cart would produce "Flanging"...? ("Itchycoo Park") :groovy:
pave
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:04 pm

pave wrote:Anybody who remembers splicing blocks and razor blades may also recall that "generation loss" was something that went... kinda sorta... unspoken. Meanwhile, who discovered that running two decks at the same time with the same content and delaying the one a tad by applying finger pressure to it and recording to a third deck or cart would produce "Flanging"...? ("Itchycoo Park") :groovy:

That is 43 years ago... technology has improved :lol:

I remember a rep coming into the station all excited that Rod Stewart was touring a couple of places in Canada, as he gave me `The First Cut Is The Deepest' album, and I thought what a let down from itchycoo Park... of course it became a larger hit.
PMC

Postby Recordman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:40 am

pave wrote:Anybody who remembers splicing blocks and razor blades may also recall that "generation loss" was something that went... kinda sorta... unspoken. Meanwhile, who discovered that running two decks at the same time with the same content and delaying the one a tad by applying finger pressure to it and recording to a third deck or cart would produce "Flanging"...? ("Itchycoo Park") :groovy:

Rod Stewart was not with the Small Faces,he didn`t join until later Steve Mariott was with the Small Faces when Itchycoo Park was released,Rod Stewart joined the Small Faces in 1969 when Steve Mariott joined Humble Pie,Small Faces became the Faces in 1969.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:01 am

Sad story, Steve Marriott. A multi-talented child-star/teen star turned rock idol he died about 12 years ago from falling asleep in bed with a lit cigarette after one of his regular nightly booze-ups at the pub directly across the road from his country home.
He first became noticed in the very early 60's playing the role of the Artful Dodger in a London production of Oliver and by 1965 was in "Be My Guest" this British teen rock-sploitation film (that's Steve on the drums):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq0rgWm7 ... re=related
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 am

pave wrote:Meanwhile, who discovered that running two decks at the same time with the same content and delaying the one a tad by applying finger pressure to it and recording to a third deck or cart would produce "Flanging"...? ("Itchycoo Park")

Not sure... A question of some debate apparently.
So who would you give the credit to? George Chkiantz or Ken Townsend?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby pave » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 am

I dunno...Noam Chomsky?
Come to think of it, I remember a similar effect on Toni Fisher's "The Big Hurt".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlE6eHEENg4
Best wishes... "Poppa (pave) Rock"
pave
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:10 am

pave wrote:I remember a similar effect on Toni Fisher's "The Big Hurt".

According to Jack Cullen, "The Big Hurt" was the first song to use Phasing.

According to this article, Flanging is a type of Phasing, perhaps better stated as "Phasing with something added":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging
"The Big Hurt" did not use Flanging.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:12 am

J Kendrick wrote:Not sure... A question of some debate apparently.
So who would you give the credit to? George Chkiantz or Ken Townsend?

For those interested (I know I was when I first heard what I called "the shortwave effect" on the Beatles 1966 Revolver album) check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flanging

After four decades of keeping an ear out for earlier use of the effect, what sounds like phasing/flanging might have been used in the intro for the Tornados' 1962 hit Telstar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuA-fqKCiAE
but Toni Fisher's 1959 Big Hurt remains the earliest (and most blatant as it runs through the entire song) use of the effect that I've come across.

Now, earliest use in radio commercial production?

Locally, it was on an Al Anderson-voiced car dealership spot aired on 630 CHED in late 1967 or early 1968 (memory gets fuzzy sometimes).

Edit: Just saw your post Jon. I agree flanging and phasing are achieved differently, but the average person would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless they had an oscilloscope at hand :)
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post