How we do "news" in Ontario...

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Re: How we do "news" in Ontario...

Postby Buckley » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:28 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:The other "elephant" in the room is McDonalds.
They try to strong arm stations into participating in their McCrappy Days promotion, hinting that if they don't get personalities to flip burgers and get free coverage on the station, the advertising contract will be cancelled.

At least it's sort of a "giving back to the community" story (even though it's obviously free advertising), and I can sort of accept it in the confines of your standard morning or afternoon drive show, AND at least McDonalds IS buying spots, but overall I agree it's not great content or the way business should be conducted (the strong arm tactics), but it's definitely not something that should be covered by the news. Someone else made the argument about Tim Horton's Camp Days, and I said "well at least there's a bit of a story in that it's for the community" but then later I thought "screw the community, it's just a way for Tim Hortons to make themselves look good in the media and get free advertising". What I'm basically trying to say is that the only time a company should get free advertising is when it's negative... when it was reported that people were jumping out of iPod factories in China and their solution was to put a net out, THAT'S the news I want to see about Apple :-)
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:28 pm

All I can say is there is News and there is News. Or, more accurately, there are Newscasts and there are Newscasts.

Some harken back to JB Shayne on CKVN (CFUN with different call letters) when he did all nights in the early 1970s. Part of his duties were an hourly Newscast. He called it "Story Time". Today's equivalent would be K-97, when "the boys" discuss Current Events at the top of the hour every morning. Most other music-based FMs here in Edmonton long ago jettisoned News completely 5 or more years ago.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:34 pm

jon wrote:All I can say is there is News and there is News. Or, more accurately, there are Newscasts and there are Newscasts.

Some harken back to JB Shayne on CKVN (CFUN with different call letters) when he did all nights in the early 1970s. Part of his duties were an hourly Newscast. He called it "Story Time". Today's equivalent would be K-97, when "the boys" discuss Current Events at the top of the hour every morning. Most other music-based FMs here in Edmonton long ago jettisoned News completely 5 or more years ago.

Right, and I think that's fine and expected on a jock station, no one's expecting Walter Cronkite and Peter Jennings. But a newspaper and a dedicated news/talk station, it's unacceptable.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to The Bitchin' Post