Outlook Chimes

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Outlook Chimes

Postby CKNF » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:07 pm

Perhaps some of the radio insiders here can help me understand something that has had me a bit puzzled for a while now.
Time and time again on various stations (but the big culprit in this case are the talk stations), I hear what are clearly Outlook email alerts during a live broadcast.
The first thing that comes to my mind is why in heavens name would you have the same computer used for email exchanges, as part of the audio chain? And if that machine MUST be part of the audio chain for whatever operational requirements such as sound bites, then why aren’t audible alerts turned off in Windows? This can very easily be accomplished without disabling any other audio capabilities on the machine. To me, it just seems rather simplistic and basic common sense. Therefore, there must be some complex technical reason as to why it just has to be that way, yes?

Any thoughts?
CKNF
Advanced Member

Re: Outlook Chimes

Postby skyvalleyradio » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:21 pm

one of the first things I do with ANY new computer at CFSI, is to go into Control Panel and disable any Windows audio by choosing "No Sounds" Contrary to conventional thought, this does NOT disable sound-card output audio. I chuckle listening to C-FAX news sometimes, as I hear the signature 4-note WIndows log-on/log-off jingle outputed on air and have never understood why one would leave WIndows signature audio still functioning at any broadcast station
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm

skyvalleyradio wrote:one of the first things I do with ANY new computer at CFSI, is to go into Control Panel and disable any Windows audio by choosing "No Sounds" Contrary to conventional thought, this does NOT disable sound-card output audio.
Indeed.

Funny thing, heard it again this afternoon on my drive home. QR in case anyone was wondering. :)
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 pm

As Skyvalleyradio notes, this is the first thing you do when you get any computer that's going to be used for audio production, playback, editing, etc. but especially if its audio output is going "on air."
The thing is, semi-knowledgeable people go in and turn them back on so they won't miss the latest Justin Heaver update or an email from Snooki.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post