Hunter S. Thompson Quote

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Hunter S. Thompson Quote

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:43 pm

This one keeps coming up again and again and each time I mean to comment and set the record straight. Hunter S. Thompson NEVER said nor wrote: "The radio business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

What he did say was this original quote which first appeared in the San Francisco Examiner November 4 1985 and later in his book Generation of Swine:

"The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason".

He went on to say: "For the most part, they are dirty little animals with huge brains and no pulse. Every once in a while they will toss up a token human like Ed Bradley or Edwin Newman or Hughes Rudd…. And there are others , no doubt, like Studs Terkel in Chicago and the twisted Rev. Gene Scott, who works like a sleepless ferret in the manic bowels in Southern California".

No mention of the "There is also a negative side" bit on the end, probably added by some journalist thinking he was clever, or the journalist inserted that thought and it was mistakenly included in the whole quote.

It is clear he is talking about the TV business and not radio.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Re: Hunter S. Thompson Quote

Postby skyvalleyradio » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:04 pm

absolutely correct Neumann!! The "modified" version of this, complete with additional 'punch line' has been floating around for some time as well. My guess is that the made-for-radio version came from some clever DJ's mouth & spread around. :glasses7:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Gentlemen thank you for the correction to the "quote" on the front page of this web site.... In the interest of accuracy perhaps it should be revised or removed.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:59 pm

No, I'd leave it as is and call it poetic priviledge. Or perhaps accompany it with a quote attributed to (depending on the source you trust) either Pablo Picasso or T.S. Eliot: "Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post