My Perfect QRM Storm

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

My Perfect QRM Storm

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:16 pm

I am beginning to think that I am living in the "Perfect QRM Storm".
I live in the centre of town, I am on the second floor of an apartment building that has 28 units all hooked up to either catv or telco for their entertainment...TV internet wifi ...
The utilities enter the building between our dinette and bedroom windows... we have the elevator, electrical, phone/cable and furnace rooms directly below our unit. Its a wonder that I can hear anything on the little G8, but I can hear a little so I keep trying to catch what is out there.
The stereo and other radios that are plugged into wall outlets are absolutely useless for AM listening (all "local" AM's are Vancouver), or for stations beyond the local FMs. So I join the majority of folks and go online or use the Telus "box" to connect to radio....Or just play what I have in my personal library.
That for what it is worth is my gripe for the day. all-in-all its a small one but like any itch it has to be scratched. Have a good day.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: My Perfect QRM Storm

Postby jon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:46 pm

On the subject of AM reception.

At one end of the (QRM) spectrum, I was surprised how well my CCRadio-EP did in terms of rejecting static from the neighbour's TV, furnace fans and such. When compared to the AM radios built into living room type stereo receivers.

Unfortunately, at the other end of the scale, I was recently appalled at how bad many AC adapters are (at much closer distances). And, worse yet, digital audio recorders. I tried an XLR cable to give me some distance, but the cable stuck and would not come out of the digital audio recorder, and has been "in the shop" (on warranty) waiting for parts for going on 3 months now....

Point is that some AM receivers do a marvelous job at eliminating garden variety RF static, but still are very sensitive to certain types.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post