It's Cryin' Time

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

It's Cryin' Time

Postby bigbry » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:43 am

Let me start out by saying I'm NOT a fan of the CRTC but
The final seconds are ticking away in a tied 3rd period and Canada’s team needs to score big to win.
Canadian advertisers and Networks are screaming because the ref made a call, to allow us to see US commercials during the Super Bowl without paying our networks for them. The puck dropped in this game 49 years ago but yet the advertisers and Networks have been playing the same tired old game. The fans have been complaining and wanting to be entertained by ads that are extremely creative and are as fun to watch as the game. Yet they’re stuck with the same old stuff and a ton of Network show promos to fill the unsold time on Canadian stations. In Canada we have some amazing ad agencies that can out create any US ad maker. Our advertisers had to step up their game and make ads that would keep fans happy. They didn’t. The Networks could have made money by selling ad time to the same big companies that advertise during the Super Bowl. They didn’t. So don’t start crying now that it’s money out of Canadians pockets and we’re going to lose jobs. The CRTC Ref has made a call and it took them 49 years, yes, 49 years to do it. Looks like the US wins this game.
bigbry
Advanced Member

Re: It's Cryin' Time

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:08 pm

I was pondering this same development myself, and penned the rant below before yesterday's game.

CRTC Chairman Jean-Pierre Blais recently announced the intent of his commission to ban the substitution of American commercials during Super Bowl broadcasts in Canada starting in 2017. The CRTC claims they've received enough complaints from viewers to look into and take action on the issue.

I can only imagine how many viewers haven't gone through the trouble to take similar action.

Entrepreneur and financial commentator Kevin O'Leary recently commented on this decision, citing the loss of revenue Canadian broadcasters would suffer for not being able to sell their air time during the game. On that specific element, from a pure business perspective, I agree with him. Inventory normally available for sale to Canadian advertisers would be taken away.

However, another part of his viewpoint, and the reason why we're having this discussion in the first place, fails to address the genesis of the issue.

What his observations don't take into account is that Canadians would prefer to watch the American ads, not the made in Canada ads, during the Super Bowl broadcast. Kevin noted, and correctly so, that the American commercials are indeed available online for viewing at one's discretion. But let's make a parallel. If you took your favorite person to a fine restaurant for dinner, how would you feel if you had to drink your hundred dollar bottle of wine in the back alley? Canadian viewers should have the right to enjoy the game the same way as their American counterparts; strapped to the couch, beverages and snacks in hand, good company, rambunctious sporting debate, and American commercials presented as part of the broadcast.

Besides, believe it or not, some people just might not have a connection to the Internet yet.

I have many friends and colleagues in the broadcast and advertising business, and I don't think many would disagree with me. It's out there for all to see...our advertising agencies can't compete with the American offerings. Too often, the Canadian creative psyche isn't able to make the leap to the next level. I don't know what we're afraid of, or why. I can get into creative specifics at another time.

But here's an example of how our creative standards of what's good and what's great leaves me baffled. At one time, I wrote, voiced, and directed a radio commercial that won the Gold Medal for Humour at the International Radio Festival of New York. The world's funniest radio commercial, from right here in Vancouver, Canada. As chosen by New York. You gonna argue with New York? Didn't think so. Next to winning a Clio, grabbing the gold at New York is as top notch as you can get. (I somehow recall that the Clio awards might have been out of business at that time, otherwise, we would have probably entered it in there, as well.)

So what happened in this country, with the same commercial?

Finalist, "Leisure Time and Travel" category at the Radio Bureau of Canada Crystal Awards.

Go figure.

I tried.

It's now taken government action to highlight a long known truth: in context of North America's largest sporting event, the creative output of our advertising agencies and marketers is unacceptable to Canadian audiences. Viewers have submitted their votes to the CRTC, and Canada loses. This decision is pointed directly at the creative output of Canada's advertising industry.

Pull up your socks, Canadian creative people. And you clients out there…loosen up. You just got kicked off the field, and based on your level of play, you deserve it.

PS: There was actually one example yesterday of Canadian creativity that I thought was brilliant.

Not the entire ad, but something in the ending.

Did you catch it?
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Stepping back a few yards, I see this as part of a new trend where the CRTC is actually attempting to do what the general public tells them they want done.

Rather the refreshing change from the Cram Canadian Culture down your throat whether you like it or not, Mister, Missus, Master and Miss Canadian of the CRTC of the recent past who seemed to think that Trudeaumania still ruled the land.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby bigbry » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:20 am

Hey T U C, really nice article buddy! Thanks for sharing
bigbry
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Yer welcome!
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Canadian broadcaster fights ban on domestic ads during Super Bowl
TORONTO, March 2 Mon Mar 2, 2015 1:53pm EST

(Reuters) - The exclusive Canadian broadcaster of the Super Bowl is fighting for the right to sell domestic advertising during the blockbuster U.S. football game after a television regulator blocked the practice last month.

BCE Inc's Bell Media unit filed a motion to the Federal Court of Appeal on Monday seeking to overturn the ban by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) due to come into effect for the 2017 game.

It says the ban interferes with vested contractual rights, namely its agreement with the NFL that allows U.S. ads to be replaced with Canadian substitutes.

Canadian viewers have long complained that they cannot see the U.S. ads, which this year cost as much as $4.5 million for a 30-second spot.

In its decision, the CRTC cited the unique nature of the Super Bowl and the fact that the U.S. advertising is part of the spectacle as reasons for the ban.

Bell said the CRTC decision discriminates by singling out Super Bowl coverage while keeping intact a broader framework to support the domestic industry.

In its ruling, the CRTC estimated the practise of replacing ads, known as simultaneous substitution, is worth some C$250 million ($199 million) a year to Canadian broadcasters. However, it is not clear how much of that income comes from the Super Bowl, which attracted a record 9.2 million Canadian viewers this year.

BCE is also currently fighting another CRTC ruling that blocks the telecommunications and media company from sending its own content to its customers' mobile devices for lower rates than other content. ($1 = 1.2538 Canadian dollars) (Reporting by Alastair Sharp. Editing by Andre Grenon)
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 pm

I don't think Bell's recent announcement that they are suing a Winnipeg student for daring to complain about them to the CRTC is going to help them get much public support on this issue.

Even Ted Rogers, Jr. -- the guy who could be counted upon to yell at the CRTC during Hearings -- wouldn't have pulled a stunt like that.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post