Where's The Christmas Spirit?

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Where's The Christmas Spirit?

Postby Karen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:46 pm

This has been bugging me for sometime. More and more each year actually. Today, it hit a boiling point and I let off steam.

I am a person who loves Christmas and the Christmas season. The thing that has hit me the last couple of years, is that the
retailers who want us to spend, spend, spend are doing noting to make their stores look or sound the least bit Christmassy.

Today I decided any store that wants my business had better look like it's into the Christmas spirit or else I'm gone and so is
my money.

First stop of the day was my local Safeway. It's one of the few that still has windows in the front. Gone are the days of painted
Santas and Reindeer, Christmas Trees etc on the windows. Inside the store, not a stitch of anything that resembled Christmas.
As a matter of fact, the in store music was about as far away from Christmas as you could get. I asked one of the old gals who
was lazing (maybe grazing) behind the Customer Service desk what's up with the lack of Christmas. She mumbled some corporate
kind of reply that made no sense, so I wished her a wonderful retirementand told her I hoped she won't be returning after the store
gets bulldozed and rebuilt in the New Year.

I think my next step will be to start joining my neighbours on the regular shopping trips to the states. Not only is there money to
be saved, but the stores there aren't afriad to celebrate the season and they still know what customer service is all about.

:xtree4:
Karen
Advanced Member

Re: Where's The Christmas Spirit?

Postby hagopian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 pm

I think you are onto something.

I noted NONE of the Christmas spirit as a lonely Kettle tender at Safeway was gamely singing Christmas Carols.

No one seems very happy these days.

Notice?

Is it money worries...?

Many of my friends make a great show of their stuff - but I wonder - was Peggy Lee right?

".....Is That ALL Their IS ?...."

Smile. We live in a blessed part of the Planet.

:merryx:
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:32 pm

I, too, am on your side Karen. Enough of this politically correct garbage. I have no trouble with virtually being a minority in my community....but I am a British Columbian first and foremost. Let's see an end to the "Happy Holidays" crap....It's Merry Christmas!!!!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:47 pm

:carol2: I heard my first Hanukkah carol on satellite radio on the weekend. Does that count? :carol3:

Formerly of WABC, Cousin Brucie was the one playing it, I think. On a regular channel, not one of their Christmas channels.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Actually, the channel you were listening to is one that Sirius has changed for Hanukkah. It's usually called Escape...channel 76 I believe.....normally very quiet music.

Channels 3 and 4 are Christmas music......62 is supposed to be Country Christmas, although I checked it this afternoon and it was still Roadhouse. Channel 79 is into more of a Classical Christmas.....Handel's Messiah, etc.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Mighty Thor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Karen wrote:This has been bugging me for sometime. More and more each year actually. Today, it hit a boiling point and I let off steam.

I am a person who loves Christmas and the Christmas season. The thing that has hit me the last couple of years, is that the
retailers who want us to spend, spend, spend are doing noting to make their stores look or sound the least bit Christmassy.

Today I decided any store that wants my business had better look like it's into the Christmas spirit or else I'm gone and so is
my money.

First stop of the day was my local Safeway. It's one of the few that still has windows in the front. Gone are the days of painted
Santas and Reindeer, Christmas Trees etc on the windows. Inside the store, not a stitch of anything that resembled Christmas.
As a matter of fact, the in store music was about as far away from Christmas as you could get. I asked one of the old gals who
was lazing (maybe grazing) behind the Customer Service desk what's up with the lack of Christmas. She mumbled some corporate
kind of reply that made no sense, so I wished her a wonderful retirementand told her I hoped she won't be returning after the store
gets bulldozed and rebuilt in the New Year.

I think my next step will be to start joining my neighbours on the regular shopping trips to the states. Not only is there money to
be saved, but the stores there aren't afriad to celebrate the season and they still know what customer service is all about.

:xtree4:

Oh fer cryin' out loud...

If you're looking for your local retailer to provide you with a dose of Yuletide spirit, then you've got bigger problems to deal with than can be solved by getting a "Merry Christmas" wish from some pimply check-out kid...

Find the real meaning of Christmas through your church, your family, your friends or even your co-workers. But don't look for it from a giant corporation that has neither a soul to be damned or an a$$ to be kicked.
Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear! Every spring, the toilets explode! -Dean Wormer, Animal House.
Mighty Thor
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Oh Shi*, he's back! Stuff the turkey where the sun doesn't shine! Retail is supposed to be part of the community spirit, or so the many stores claim to be, via their print ads and yes, even on radio. Except when Christmas comes. They love our money, no doubt about that....but aren't willing to recognise why they are getting that money? :merryx:
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby pieinthesky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:47 pm

johnsykes wrote:Channels 3 and 4 are Christmas music......62 is supposed to be Country Christmas, although I checked it this afternoon and it was still Roadhouse. Channel 79 is into more of a Classical Christmas.....Handel's Messiah, etc.

I believe that channel 62 will be Country Christmas starting December 10 and running until the 25th. That's channel 10 for yule XM subs.

:scane:
pieinthesky
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Thanks...Sirius told me the 7th, but am pleased to get the date.

This could start something.....I've listened to channel 3 & 4 over the last few days......would you say....Let It Snow....or
Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire are Christmas songs? I'd label them winter songs. Same goes for 103.5 QMFM and 104.9........if they think that stuff is Christmas music, they have another thought coming.
Have they ever heard of Christmas carols? Yes, I've heard the odd Perry Como version of Silent Night, but not much more.
Another think that ticks me off.....the American singers going nuts ala U.S. anthem.....with their Christmas songs. Tradition singers, tradition goes a long way. Now off to bed kidcdies!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Mighty Thor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:11 pm

johnsykes wrote:Oh Shi*, he's back! Stuff the turkey where the sun doesn't shine! Retail is supposed to be part of the community spirit, or so the many stores claim to be, via their print ads and yes, even on radio. Except when Christmas comes. They love our money, no doubt about that....but aren't willing to recognise why they are getting that money? :merryx:

Listen Buttercup...I'm sorry you need to rely on your retailer to supply your Christmas spirit. But I would have thought that even a dumba$$ like yourself realizes that Christmas isn't about the buying of gifts and whose got the most expensive Christmas goodies. Rather, it's about celebrating the birth of a guy who told us not worry about material things and instead, concentrate on what's really important. You might remember learning something about a long, long time ago...things like helping your neighbour, feeding the hungry, and looking after those less fortunate than ourselves.

If you can't see that, then I truly feel sorry for you.
Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear! Every spring, the toilets explode! -Dean Wormer, Animal House.
Mighty Thor
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 pm

I'm not getting into another blast-off with you donut.....suffice it to say I know what Christmas is all about....I've given enough money already this year to help others, ........my beef is that retail could get more into the spirit of the season. I see you haven't attacked Karen on this subject....after all, she only was the one who brought this subject up....or can't you read back that far. Now shove off back to your hole!
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Just back from three days in the Seattle area.
Last night in Bellevue, they had a street Chistmas celebration with lights, characters in costumes, traditional Christmas music and thousands of people despite the rain.
In Vancouver, nothing.
The city doesn't put up lights or decorations and only a few stores "do" Christmas properly, one being Holt Renfrew.
There's no street entertainment downtown, nothing to remind people of this joyous season.
It really is No Fun City here.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby yathink » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 am

johnsykes wrote:I've given enough money already this year to help others. Now shove off back to your hole!

And a Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night.
I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma.
yathink
Advanced Member

Postby Mighty Thor » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:53 am

johnsykes wrote: I see you haven't attacked Karen on this subject....after all, she only was the one who brought this subject up....or can't you read back that far. Now shove off back to your hole!

And I see that the famous Sykesian brainpower (or lack thereof) continues to be in evidence in your latest post.

Perhaps in my original comment, you might have noticed exactly who I quoted, hmmm? Here's a hint, it was the person who started the thread in the first place. Oh well, I guess it would have been too much trouble after your third Scotch....

And while you're at it, pray explain what obliges a retailer to get in "the spirit of the season" just to satisfy you and a few other lonelyhearts? If I'm a retailer in today's modern world, where up to half my client base celebrates a holiday other than Christmas at this time of year, why would I risk alienating potential customers by decking my hall with boughs of holly?

I repeat, if you want Christmas spirit, get it from your church, your friends and your family. Otherwise, you might wind up like Sykes, standing in line at Mickey D's and complaining about the "holiday dipping sauces" for the Chicken McNuggets.
Mighty Thor
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:23 am

Despite what Thor says, Christmas is embraced by many who are not white and "Christian."
It's a holiday festival for many people regardless of race, religion or colour.
In Vancouver, almost everyone celebrates everyone else's holidays.
Singapore hardly is a Christian country but their holiday displays are legendary.
Take a look on YouTube.
Lots of Christmas festivities in non-Christian cultures.
As a further point, not everyone who goes to the Pride Parade every summer is gay.
For most people, it's one of the few fun events in No Fun City.
Same with the fireworks.
It's an event that cuts across all lines with people of every stripe and belief.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The Bitchin' Post