Ten Worst Songs of 2010

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

Ten Worst Songs of 2010

Postby Buckley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 am

I don't know if this'll really hit the demographic of most of the members on this board, but regardless... I released my "Ten Worst Songs of 2010" video this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0HTC89VPQ

Please note: it's a tad vulgar, definitely NSFW or for watching around the kiddies.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Re: Ten Worst Songs of 2010

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:14 am

Great presentation Buckley! That pretty well sums up why old farts like me would rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard than be subjected to some of the crap that is passed off as music nowadays.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:14 am

Dan Sys wrote:Great presentation Buckley! That pretty well sums up why old farts like me would rather listen to fingernails on a blackboard than be subjected to some of the crap that is passed off as music nowadays.

Thanks Dan... I thought about what I said in the first post, I think in a way this totally hits the demo of this group... though I could have chosen almost any 10 songs put out this year and said they were the worst and everyone would be inclined to agree :) But I'll tell you, working in a predominantly Top 40 format has its ups and downs, it's difficult some days to keep a straight face and be excited about the fact that you're introducing some of these songs... it's like giving someone a turd in a box and saying "Merry Christmas!" and being completely serious. And I thought Country would be a tough format to work.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:33 am

Re: Whiz Khalifa's "Black and Yellow"...so, five decades and a dozen genres later, young guys are still writing and singing songs about their cars.
Nothing new in the world since Mozart composed "Eine Kleine Douce Coupe".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 am

What an absolute pile of shit. I cannot believe that people waste their time listening to crap like this on the radio. Even harder to believe is the fact that people actually spend money to
buy this crap.

Hearing this stuff makes a lot of the crap we had to program in the 70's and 80's suddenly sound much more tolerable.

Can you imagine the highlight of your day being the arrival olf a new Lil Kim release? Bloody sad.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Ten Worst Songs of 1969

Postby jon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:39 am

For a point of reference, here is the official CKSF (SFU Radio) list of Ten Worst Songs of 1969, compiled exclusively for the station by an outside consultant (actually, a Seattle DX'er who was paid for the work in his weight in printed copies of the best and worst chart):
http://www.radiowest.ca/sound/cksf10worst1969.mp3
As you can hear, it interrupts the Top 130 (best) songs of the year and is accompanied by the #2 worst song. Here is #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIq6rqUcIvw

The inclusion of Elvis in this list may raise a few eyebrows. Here is the song in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMy_i_hHb0
and here is the way it was featured in a movie released that year that turned out to be his last:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nva7dMOBuCI
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:44 am

Everything with Awfultune on it.
Oh wait, that's just about every pop, country, rock, hip hop, rap, etc. crap released these days.
Only classical and opera seems immune to Awfultune abuse.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: Ten Worst Songs of 1969

Postby Buckley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 am

jon wrote:For a point of reference, here is the official CKSF (SFU Radio) list of Ten Worst Songs of 1969, compiled exclusively for the station by an outside consultant (actually, a Seattle DX'er who was paid for the work in his weight in printed copies of the best and worst chart):
http://www.radiowest.ca/sound/cksf10worst1969.mp3
As you can hear, it interrupts the Top 130 (best) songs of the year and is accompanied by the #2 worst song. Here is #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIq6rqUcIvw

The inclusion of Elvis in this list may raise a few eyebrows. Here is the song in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMy_i_hHb0
and here is the way it was featured in a movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nva7dMOBuCI

3 Archies tunes in the 10 worst songs, that's pretty funny. I remember my dad pulling out a bunch of his old singles (he used to provide music for school dances when he was 16 - 18 or so and has a lot of 45's) and "Sugar, Sugar" was in there... I'm certainly not saying they didn't make some crap back then, but it definitely seemed like the good outweighed the bad (but who knows, could just be nostalgia for some kicking in, in 1969 there was probably some guy who thought "Spinning Wheel" was a piece of garbage and saying "whatever happened to the days of Tommy Dorsey!?".

As for "Rubberneckin", I can see that... a little off the beaten path of Elvis' usual work, I imagine by 1969 people would have been finding his movies campy even by 1969 standards, it was the era of Woodstock, more serious, slightly heavier rock was really starting to take off (Hendrix, the Stones, Joplin, the drugged up version of the Beatles, even Zeppelin was starting to come on the scene), and here Elvis puts out a song that would have almost fit better in the mid-late 70's Disco era.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:08 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:Everything with Awfultune on it.
Oh wait, that's just about every pop, country, rock, hip hop, rap, etc. crap released these days.
Only classical and opera seems immune to Awfultune abuse.

Oh you just wait until they do "Pagliacci" in Autotune...
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:42 am

Buckley....I think you missed Celine Dion.
:canedude:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:38 pm

sandclan wrote:Buckley....I think you missed Celine Dion.
:canedude:

Her only singles this year appear to be some charity thing for the Haiti disaster and something french, and though I'm sure the french song was terrible (no way I'm putting a charity song in my list of the worst 10 songs of the year, I forget what movie it's from but the quote goes something like "I'm an a**hole, not a f***ing a**hole"), I don't make a point of listening to french music (and the service I work for doesn't have any French-Canadian customers), so I'd not heard it.

Now, if we were talking the worst of 2003, that "I Drove All Night" song would be in the list for sure :)
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby pieinthesky » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Great list!
pieinthesky
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Most overplayed crap that's heard on almost every station this year, Lady Antebellum and "I'm a little drunk" or whatever it's called.
Also with Awfultune to the max.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Buckley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:42 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:Most overplayed crap that's heard on almost every station this year, Lady Antebellum and "I'm a little drunk" or whatever it's called.
Also with Awfultune to the max.

Oh that would be a good one... I always thought Lady Antebellum's name was stupid in general since there's songs I've heard of theirs, it doesn't even have the female singer. But yeah... "Need You Now", sadly it was released in 2009 (if you can believe that we've had to live with it for over a year now, it was out on the Country stations in August, then they put out the pop remixes and such where they take all the twangy guitar out and add some synth and whatnot). It, along with "Hey, Soul Sister" by Train would most definitely have made my 2009 list.
Buckley
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:Also with Awfultune to the max.

Hey Mike, its Autotune and to be honest, I don't think you know what it is.

Adam... you do come off as a misogynistic racist..... I didn't want to lol a couple times because of my PC sensibilities (but I did). Pearl necklace bit? loved it.

But no rock on your lists? Were you not exposed to Escape the Fate?

Don't even get me started on Sick Puppies or most of Weezer's 2010 output.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Next

Return to The Bitchin' Post