AM Broadcast Band Transmmitter Identity and schematic needed

Looking for Radio equipment? Got stuff for sale or trade maybe even giveaway .. . Need help with a project??

AM Broadcast Band Transmmitter Identity and schematic needed

Postby VE7LE » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just found this site while searching for information on a small broadcast band transmitter I recently came into possession of. I am looking for a schematic so I can convert it to 75 meter amateur band.

I am told from the broadcast engineer that I got it from that it definitely came from a CBC site and was a small town broadcast transmitter on 1340AM. The frequency is confirmed by having received a tone on that frequency as well as it has a 1340 crystal in it.

McCurdy Radio is who he said made the radio but I am unable to get in touch with them. I did send McCurdy an email that didn't bounce but nobody answers their phone. There are no markings on the transmitter.

I have posted pictures here. http://www.30j.ca/amtx/index.html

Please let me know if you have any information at all on identifying this transmitter.

Thanks in advance

David 604-781-1773 david@eppert.ca VE7CN
VE7LE

Re: AM Broadcast Band Transmmitter Identity and schematic ne

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:32 pm

According to my listings the only low power CBC rebroadcaster on 1340 that has been shut down during the past few years is CBQW 1340 in Hudson, Ontario which operated with 40 watts.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:46 pm

David:

Assuming that you live close enough to Vancouver to be willing to meet at the CBC building Downtown, I would phone and ask to speak to someone in Engineering, and see if they are willing to help you find the schematic you need, maybe even make a copy of theirs. Be willing to meet them at a time of their choosing, and offer them a meal, coffee or a drink out if you want to get any suggestions from them on doing the conversion you want to do.

Like radio engineers everywhere, I am sure that they have more than enough work to fill a 60 hour week, so respecting their time is important, too.

The opening introduction, to immediately help them understand what you are looking for, should probably be "I just bought an old CBC AM 40 watt LPRT and can't find a schematic for it."

Jon
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Definitely a McCurdy.
They still have schematics for much of their gear but charge for them.
The last time I contacted them for info was two years ago.
They still have a web page with contact information but as Jon suggests, contacting CBC engineering might be the easiest way to go.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby VE7LE » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Ok.. thanks guys... I'll take that advice. I will call them on Monday.

I learned that this transmitter was removed from a CBC over 20 years ago and sat in an engineers basement since then. He recently asked another if he wants it who in turn asked me so I have it. I found a local ham just today in passing discussion that actually has two of them so he is looking to see if he has any documentation.

I communicated with Paul Hudson at McCurdy who told me that they don't have any documentation for it but he forwarded my info to another ham who has one of these transmitters.

Getting closer.

David VE7CN
VE7LE

Postby VE7LE » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:16 am

I have found the manual for the McCurdy AM Low Power Transmitter. If anyone needs a copy let me know and I will get it to you.

David VE7CN
VE7LE

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Greetings,
Very interesting topic. Since I am quite interested in the technical aspects of radio and have been into that for years really appreciate the comments here. Also David thanks for posting all the photos of the CBC LPRT from 1340 khz. Good luck on your conversion to the ham radio band. I bought a CBC LPRT for 860 khz. which was in service in the Fernie, BC area many, many years ago! Anyway I bought it back in the early 1970s from Ham Shack Electronics (which was a really great vintage radio parts and equipment store) located on Granville Street near the Granville Street Bridge. I think I paid 50 or 60 dollars for it but well worth it. A real collectors item with all the detailled CBC Manuals, all tube and tuning unit. I had the LPRT for many years and have photos of it in my radio photo album. Unfortunately I sold the unit without completely restoring it to like new condition in appearance etc.. We were living in Mission, BC and a radio collector friend from Greater Vancouver came out and bought it off me. I sold it for about 400 dollars. I wish I had not but we had a lot of stuff at the house my mother had bought in Mission, and were thinking of moving to Langley so I was trying to thin out the huge amount of radio parts, equipment and vinyl records I had. Still have a huge amount though out in Langley and even here in Ontario. No CBC LPRTs though. I think I might have saved or photocopied some of the CBC LPRT manuals or schematics but those would be out in Langley. That CBC LPRT I got was maybe 40 watts but from what I remember it was old, probably from the early 50s or 1940s. It was in relatively good condition, needed cleaning though. It looked older than the one you have David. Would like to find another CBC LPRT in the near future and add i to my collection at the new house in Langley we are buying. With all the CBC LPRTs going to FM from AM I would imagine there should be more available. Anyone know anything further about .purchasing some please let me know or post on Radio West. They make a very nice collectors item if you are into radio collecting like I am.

73s, All the best from Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby VE7LE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:25 pm

Eldon,
It turns out that the model LPRT I have is a version earlier than the manual that I found. One of the easiest differentiators is the meters. The one I have has black meters but the later version has clear meter covers. There are various other differences inside. If you ever get to looking through your Langley files, please consider finding any manual copies that you may have.

There are a few more of these found in Coquitlam. Last I saw, there were six of them but four were considered sold. Send me an email and I'll tell you where they are.

David VE7CN david@eppert.ca
VE7LE

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:42 pm

Greetings,
Thanks David, I will send you an email! Appreciate the information about the CBC LPRTs.

73s All the best from Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 am

VE7LE wrote:I communicated with Paul Hudson at McCurdy who told me that they don't have any documentation for it but he forwarded my info to another ham who has one of these transmitters.

For those who may have known him over the years, Paul Hudson has died. He was just 70 years of age, and was McCurdy Radio's President.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio Equipment Etc