Broadcast History - July 17

Broadcast History - July 17

Postby jon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:12 pm

In 1924, the call letters CNRW were first used by the CNR (Canadian National Railways) during the air time it had begun leasing on March 27th from CKY Winnipeg. Unlike Lloyd Moffat's later CKY, this CKY was a totally different station, owned by Manitoba Government Telephones and operating at this time on 665 KHz with 2000 watts. The Manitoba government had shut down all private stations on March 13, 1923, including CJGC and CJNC, owned by the Winnipeg Free Press and Winnipeg Tribune, respectively. After World War II, federal cabinet minister C.D. Howe forced the Manitoba government to sell its radio stations, and CKY became CBW when it was sold to the CBC on July 1, 1948. Lloyd Moffat applied for the call letters and signed on the new CKY on December 31, 1949. Lloyd passed away in Hawaii in early 1964; he was only 54.

Image

In 2003, CBU-FM Vancouver was approved by the CRTC to open a rebroadcaster of its CBC Radio Two programming in Prince George on 90.3 MHz with 151 watts. CBU-FM began on November 21, 1947, as VE9FG with 1000 watts on 105.7 MHz from a 40 foot antenna. It was Canada's first FM station west of Toronto. At the time, it simulcast CBR-AM, the call letters then assigned to CBC Vancouver. In 1965, CBU-FM became the CBC's second FM stereo station; CBW-FM Winnipeg was the first.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 8997
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests