Broadcast History - July 27

Broadcast History - July 27

Postby jon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 pm

In 1926, CJRM Moose Jaw signed on with 500 watts on 665 KHz. The station was "gradually" moved to Regina by 1934. And the call letters were changed to CKRM in 1940.

In 1931, Okanagan Broadcasters Ltd. was incorporated, in preparation for the conversion of non-commercial 10AY to CKOV on November 4th. CKOV-1230 Kelowna had 100 watts, using a juiced-up 60 watt ship's transmitter feeding antennas between two 90 foot poles. The station moved to 1210 KHz in 1933 with 50 watts, then back to 100 watts in 1934 on 630 KHz, where it remained until the move to FM at noon on August 17, 2007. 10AY had originally signed on in 1928 with 50 watts.

In 1954, CKCK-TV signed on in Regina on Channel 2. Owned by the Sifton family, who also owned CKCK-AM, CKCK-TV was Western Canada's first privately-owned television station. It was, however, a CBC affiliate. But that meant airing kinescopes, as there was no live video connection to the CBC. The station had a 670 foot tower, but only 19,000 watts video and 10,000 watts audio. The Siftons sold CKCK-TV in 1977, and the station was resold in 1986 to Baton Broadcasting, which has since become Bell Media. CKCK-TV had switched from CBC to CTV affiliation in 1969 when the CBC purchased CHAB-TV and its Regina repeater CHRE-TV.

Image

In 1973, CJCI Prince George was granted a license by the CRTC for CIVH-1340 in Vanderhoof, with 1000 watts day and 250 watts night. That was then the maximum permitted for a graveyarder, as the stations on 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450 and 1490 KHz were known, because of the eerie sound caused by the mixing of so many low powered signals at night.

In 1982, CJXX-AM Grande Prarie was purchased by Medicine Hat's Monarch Broadcasting Ltd. The station had first signed on December 16, 1979, with 10,000 watts on 1430 KHz. The station moved to U.S. clear channel 840 KHz in 1991, and to FM in 1999. Jim Pattison purchased Monarch in 2000.

In 1985, multi-cultural CFMT-TV Toronto became Canada's first stereo TV station. It had originally signed on September 3, 1979, on Channel 47, with 807,000 watts from the CN Tower. Rogers gained control of the station on June 19, 1986, when the CRTC approved the sale.

In 1990, CHQT Edmonton was approved by the CRTC to be sold to Monarch Broadcasting Ltd. The station had been founded by Lew Roskin and Murray (Curly) Dyck in 1965, with funding from Dr. Charles A. Allard and Zane Feldman. Sign on was delayed until August 19th after wet weather delayed the installation of the ground system and towers for the 10,000 watt directional pattern at night on 1110 KHz, to protect KFAB Omaha. Studios were located on property owned by Dr. Allard at Jasper Avenue and 112th Street.

Image

In 2006, William D. (Bill) Forst passed away. A radio and television engineer, he built several stations from scratch, and was the force behind his family's creation of Swift Current's first radio and television stations. For a summary of his broadcast career, and links to his CCF bio: click on http://www.edmontonbroadcasters.com/F/#forstb.
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests