Broadcast History - August 17

Broadcast History - August 17

Postby jon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:15 pm

In 1982, VOCM-FM St. John's, Newfoundland, was granted a power increase before the station had even signed on. VOCM-AM's application for an FM license had been approved by the CRTC the previous year for 20,000 watts on 97.5 MHz. The increase was to 50,000 watts, and in 1985, power was increased again to 100,000 watts. The assignment of call letters in Newfoundland since becoming a province of Canada has always been confusing. Stations that existed before confederation were allowed to keep their V call letters, but those that came later were assigned C call letters.

Despite the fact that VOCM-AM satellite stations opened in 1961 became CHCM-AM in Marystown and CKCM-AM in Grand Falls, the V call letters VOCM-FM were permitted in 1981 and its repeater in Clarenville became VOCM-FM-1. The other two remaining V call letter stations are both religious stations in St. Johns: VOWR owned by Wesley United Church and VOAR owned by the Seventh Day Adventists. In 1968, VOWR-AM was denied a license for an FM station because of the Canadian government's long standing policy of not granting broadcasting licenses to religious organizations. But both AM stations had their licenses grandfathered along with their V call letters when Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949.

Image

In 2005, CKNG-FM Edmonton (JOE-FM) was approved by the CRTC for a decrease in antenna height and relocation of their transmitter to address signal problems since CHBN-FM (The Bounce) had signed on. Both stations relocated their transmitters to the same newly-constructed tower in SE Edmonton, right beside the Anthony Henday ring road.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9039
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests