Broadcast History - August 20

Broadcast History - August 20

Postby jon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:34 pm

In 1957, former CKRD-AM General Manager George Alfred "Fred" Bartley began construction of a building and tower for his new television station in Red Deer, Alberta, after receiving a license on August 1st. Studios and offices were also being built at a separate location atop a hill on Highway 11 on the outskirts of Red Deer. The station signed on as CHCA-TV, the "CA" for Central Alberta, on Channel 6 with 4150 watts video and 2080 watts audio from a 714 foot tower. The call letters changed to CKRD-TV in September 1965. Bartley passed away in 1970.

In 1961, CKPG-TV Prince George signed on Channel 2 with 8300 watts as a CBC affiliate. CHQM's purchased of CKPG on November 19, 1969, included both the radio and television stations, plus two television rebroadcast transmitters in Quesnel and Mackenzie. The CKPG group of stations have been owned by Jim Pattison since 2000 when he purchased Monarch Broadcasting.

Image

In 1962, CFVR Abbotsford signed on with 250 watts on 1240 KHz. The "FVR" stood for Fraser Valley Radio. It began as five hours of daily local programming, with the remainder a simulcast of CHWK Chilliwack. CFVR had four employees located in three small rooms on the second floor of the Park Hotel in Abbotsford. Jack Dodge was Station Manager, a.m. drive, middays and Sales Manager.

In 1992, Moffat sold CHED-AM and CKNG-FM Edmonton to WIC (now Corus), CKY-AM and CITI-FM Winnipeg to Rogers, CFXX-AM (formerly CKXL) Calgary and CHAB-AM Moose Jaw to Golden West, and CKLG-AM and CFOX-FM Vancouver to Shaw Radio. That left only CKY-TV as a Moffat-owned station.

Image Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9046
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest