Broadcast History - August 22

Broadcast History - August 22

Postby jon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:28 pm

In 1952, at 2:30 p.m., CBLT-TV Channel 9 in Toronto did its first test broadcast, covering the opening of the 73rd Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. Official sign-on was Monday, September 8th, just two days after CBFT-TV Montreal's (official) signon, making CBFT Canada's first television station. Prior to this, all Toronto houses that had rooftop television antennas, had them pointed at Buffalo, to receive WBEN-TV Channel 4. CBLT did not gain access to U.S. programming until early the next year when a 66 mile microwave link was created from Buffalo to Toronto. That microwave network was extended to Ottawa and Montreal in May 1953.

On August 22, 1958, CKLG moved from 1070 to 730 on the AM dial.

Image

In 1989, CKGY-1170 Red Deer (Alberta) was approved by the CRTC to increase power from 10,000 watts day and 5,000 watts night, to 50,000 watts day and 14,000 watts night, from a new transmitter location 5 kilometres East of the existing transmitter site. The station had originally signed on August 1, 1973, and was locally owned and operated until 1987 when Shaw (to become Corus) bought the station; NewCap purchased the station (and CIZZ-FM) in 2005. The station moved to FM on May 1, 2001, on 95.5 MHz with 100,000 watts.

Image

In 2000, CJLY-FM was licensed as a community station in Nelson, B.C. The station committed to 105 hours per week of programming produced by the station. Before the year was out, the station was on the air, on 93.5 MHz with 70 watts. In 2004, a rebroadcast transmitter was added in Kootenay Bay, on 96.5 MHz with 19.02 watts.
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 8998
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

cron