Broadcast History - September 9

Broadcast History - September 9

Postby jon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm

In 1939, one day before Canada declared war on Germany, CKAC Montreal announced the creation of a permanent Newsroom. As well as Canadian sources, it included Newsfeeds from CBS in the U.S. and United Press in the U.K. The station was already broadcasting four 15 minute newscasts per day, with five minutes of News at the top of every other hour.

In 1960, CFCN-TV Calgary signed on to channel 4. On October 1, 1961, the station joined the newly-formed CTV network. By 1965, there were rebroadcast transmitters in Brooks, Drumeller, Hand Hills and Banff, Alberta, as well as Columbia River Valley and Kimberly, B.C. But, on September 3, 1968, a new transmitter in Lethbridge was not a low powered repeater. It signed on Channel 13 with 36,700 watts video and 7340 watts audio, but the real News was local programming in studio space leased in the CJLH-TV building. The transmitter also shared the CJLH tower, at a height of 582 feet, with a directional signal.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest