Broadcast History - September 13

Broadcast History - September 13

Postby jon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 pm

In 1936, CFRN Edmonton moved from 1260 to 960 KHz, after receiving approval on June 15th from the Canadian Radio Broadcasting Commission (CRBC). In November of the same year, the CRBC was replaced by the CBC, and CFRN was one of the charter affiliates. In the Great Frequency Shuffle of 1941, CFRN was one of the few stations to be reassigned a frequency they had had in the non-immediate past. They moved back to 1260 KHz and were granted a power increase to 1000 watts on October 27, 1941.

Image

In 1953, the CBC Times showed a move from 1230 to 1270 KHz for CHWK Chilliwack. But it was not until 1960 that power was increased to 10,000 watts.

In 1959, CHFC Churchill (Manitoba) signed on for the first time, with 250 watts on 1230 KHz. Today, the CBC-owned station remains on 1230 KHz with 250 watts and is a repeater of CBWK-FM Thompson. Over the years, the CBC dropped all local programming from Churchill.

In 1972, the Atlantic Television Network (ATV) launched with the connection by microwave of CJCH-TV Halifax, CJCB-TV Sydney (Nova Scotia) and CKCW-TV Moncton (New Brunswick). Prince Edward Island was added in 1973 with CKCW-TV-1. Today, the stations and network are owned by Bell Media.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9067
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests