Broadcast History - September 14

Broadcast History - September 14

Postby jon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 pm

In 1957, CHAT-TV Medicine Hat (Alberta) signed on to Channel 6 with only 5700 watts of Video power. It was Alberta's fourth television station and Premier Ernest Manning was on hand for the opening. The studio, offices and 403 foot tower were located in Redcliffe, best known for its Dominion Glass plant. The same year, on December 15th, a microwave link brought much more CBC programming, the station having relied on film and kinescope for its first few months of operation. About 10% of local commercials were done live by staff announcers.

In 2000, CHVN-FM Winnipeg signed on with 100,000 watts on 95.1 MHz. Golden West Broadcasting purchased controlling interest in the station in 2004.

In 2004, CKRW Whitehorse launched a new FM repeater in Whitehorse, and a new format. As the new slogan indicated, "The Rush 96.1 FM", the 380 watt FM stereo transmitter was to become the centre of attention, with the AM on 610 KHz, and seven FM transmitters in other communities, viewed as repeaters. In 2007, the first FM repeaters outside the Yukon were added, in Atlin, B.C. and Inuvik, NWT. CKRW originally signed on in November 1969.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9046
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest