Broadcast History - November 4

Broadcast History - November 4

Postby jon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:57 pm

In 1922, XWA became CFCF Montreal. The station was owned by Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company, broadcasting on 440 metres with 500 watts. Power increased to 2000 watts the next year. Marconi had acquired rights to Reginald Fessenden's patents in 1914, and had been experimenting with radio programming as we know it today on experimental station XWA for several years before CFCF was licensed as a commercial station.

Image Image

In 1931, CKOV Kelowna signed on at 2:30 p.m. just moments after non-commercial station 10AY signed off. On July 27th, Okanagan Broadcasters Ltd. had been incorporated, in preparation for the conversion of license. CKOV-1230 Kelowna had 100 watts, using a juiced-up 60 watt ship's transmitter feeding antennas between two 90 foot poles. The station moved to 1210 KHz in 1933 with 50 watts, then back to 100 watts in 1934 on 630 KHz, where it remained (with a few power increases along the way) until it was approved for a switch to FM on April 23, 2007. 10AY had originally signed on in 1928 with 50 watts.

In 1961, CHQM-FM Vancouver began broadcasting in stereo. The station had only signed on the year before. And CHQM-AM the year before that. In 1963, CHQM-FM power was increased from 18,950 to 100,000 watts.

It was a busy day for the CRTC in 1971. They announced the following:

(1) CFFB Frobisher Bay was given permission to move from 1200 to 1210 KHz. Forever ending the dream of many a DX'er to hear them when they were the only other nighttime station besides WOAI San Antonio on the clearest of the clear channels. The company Clear Channel was named to reflect that WOAI was the company's first acquisition.

Image

(2) CKGO Hope was licensed by the CRTC for 1490 with 250 watts. It signed on six months later with two hours of local programming a day. The remainder was simulcast from CHWK Chilliwack.

(3) CINL Princeton was licensed on 1400 KHz with 1000 watts day and 250 watts night, to be completely simulcast with CHNL Kamloops.

(4) CKXR Salmon Arm remained on 580 KHz, but was allowed to go to 10,000 watts day non-directional and continue with 1000 watts directional at night. CKXR previously had a separate day pattern, but only 1000 watts.

In 1981, CFFR Calgary was licensed to Rawlco Communications. It would take more than two years before the station signed on to 660 KHz with 50,000 watts, in large part because Rawlco had proposed another frequency in the license application. The 66-CFR slogan stayed with the station until it switched to All News on April 3, 2006. When it became 660 News under the ownership of Rogers, initially with assistance from CKWX Vancouver.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9037
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests