Broadcast History - December 11

Broadcast History - December 11

Postby jon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:30 pm

In 1954, Allan Waters purchased CHUM Toronto from patent medicine king Jack Part, for Waters' shares in Part's Adrem Ltd. and Private Brands Packagers Ltd., plus $500 a month. At the time, CHUM was a 1000 watt daytime-only station. Only the frequency, 1050 KHz, remained the same over the years, from 1944 when Jack Part first got a broadcast license, until today.

Image

In 1973, Bob Hall and Walter Gray, owners of CKXR Salmon Arm and CKCR Revelstoke, were licensed for CKGR Golden, on 1400 KHz with 1000 watts day and 250 watts night, then the limit for Local Channels (Graveyard Frequencies - 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450 and 1490 KHz). CKGR was a rebroadcaster of CKCR until 1984, when local Golden programming was added. A CKGR rebroadcaster in Invermere was added in 1985 on 870 KHz with 1000 watts day and 250 watts night. 870 had been a U.S. 1-A Clear Channel with WWL New Orleans the only station on the air at night on the frequency.

Also in 1973, CHNL Kamloops was authorized to increase night power to 5000 watts. A year earlier, a power increase to 10,000 watts day was authorized by the CRTC. Despite the fact that CJAT Trail was on the same frequency: 610 KHz.

Image

Again, in 1973, CKIQ Kelowna won a power increase from 1000 to 10,000 watts day. It would not be until 1981 that night power was increased to 10,000 watts.

In 1995, CFMS-FM Victoria returned to the air after a three and a half month absence, with a new 350 foot tower on the Malahat, 2000 feet above Victoria, new call letters, CIOC-FM, and a new format, Adult Contemporary, under the slogan The Ocean. Power was decreased from 100,000 watts to 47,000 watts in 1999.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9093
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests