Broadcast History - December 16

Broadcast History - December 16

Postby jon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:04 pm

In 1936, Seattle (KJR/KOL) DJ Lan Roberts was born Lanny Lipford in Bonham, Texas, the same small town he was living in when he died on December 30, 2005. His web site as it existed when he died can be found here:


In 1953, CBUT-TV Vancouver signed on to Channel 2, the CBC's first television station in Western Canada. The transmitter was on Mount Seymour in North Vancouver with 47,600 watts video and 25,400 watts audio. The site was manned for many years, and was also used as a microwave receiving point for remote broadcasts. Video from live remotes would be transmitted directly, rather than being first relayed to the studios from Mount Seymour. CBUT-1 signed on to Channel 9 in Courtenay in 1962 as CBUT's first rebroadcaster. CBUT-2 Chilliwack on channel 3 was the second, in May 1966.


In 1963, CKX-FM Brandon signed on to 96.1 MHz with 29,000 watts in stereo, making it the first stereo station in Manitoba. The CKY and CKX radio and television stations remain the only private stations in Canada with three letter call letters.

In 1966, Kenneth David Soble died at only 55 years of age. He began his radio career in Toronto at age 16 in 1927, creating Canada's first amateur show "The Ken Soble Amateur Hour" in 1931. It was carried on a network of Montreal and Southern Ontario stations, and there were more shows to follow. He took over management of CHML Hamilton in 1936, buying the station in 1944, partnering with CKOC and the Hamilton Spectator to sign on CHCH-TV in 1953. In the years before his death, he was negotiating with the BBG for a satellite-based nation-wide network of 97 television stations. But the idea died with him.

In 1979, CJXX Grande Prairie signed on to 1430 KHz with 10,000 watts. In 1991, the station was approved for a move to former U.S. 1-A Clear Channel 840 KHz, previously the exclusive night-time territory of WHAS Louisville, Kentucky. In 1999, approval came from the CRTC for a move to FM, with 100,000 watts on 93.1 MHz.


In 1983, Walter J. Blackburn died. He had inherited the London Free Press newspaper and broadcast empire from his father Arthur who opened CJGC London on September 30, 1922, on 430 metres with 200 watts. Initially, the transmitter was actually in the corner of Arthur's newspaper office! CNRL was run as a part-time phantom station on CJGC from March 7, 1929, until March 31, 1932. The Depression and loss of CNR leased time hit the station hard. It decreased power from 5000 watts on 910 KHz to 100 watts on 730 KHz in September 1933, then merged with CKOK Windsor to create the legendary CKLW on November 6th of the same year. The CKLW partnership lasted less than a year, and CJGC was back with new call letters, CFPL, on their old frequency of 730 KHz with 100 watts. CFPL joined the CBC in 1936, the year the network began, and later that year, Arthur died and Walter took over.

In 1986, Canada's and perhaps the world's first radio station, CFCF Montreal, was granted a power increase to 10,000 watts day, with night power remaining at 5000 watts. In 1960s, despite relatively low power for what was then Canada's largest city, CFCF's 600 KHz frequency gave it a good groundwave signal.

In 1993, CHNV-FM Nelson was approved by the CRTC as a rebroadcaster of CKQR-AM Castlegar. CHNV had 84 watts on 103.5 MHz.

In 1996, CKRY-FM Calgary's sale to Shaw was approved by the CRTC. Bob Redmond had owned the station since 1981, when he received a license for a new FM station in Calgary. He passed away on May 7, 2005.

User avatar
Advanced Member
Posts: 9123
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests