Broadcast History - January 28

Broadcast History - January 28

Postby jon » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:46 pm

In 1926, the first annual meeting of the Canadian Assocation of Broadcasters (CAB) was held at the King Edward Hotel in Toronto. The CAB had been formed only three weeks earlier at a meeting of radio owners where A.R. McEwan of Canadian National Railways (CNR) was elected as Chairman. It all resulted from the previous year's amendment to the Copyright Act and CKNC Toronto being threatened with legal action if they did not pay copyright fees for recorded music that they broadcast.

In 1947, CJNB North Battleford signed on to 1240 KHz with 250 watts, as Saskatchewan's first new radio station since World War II. It was owned by C.R. MacIntosh, Member of Parliament and publisher of the North Battleford News. In 1952, the station moved to 1460 KHz and increased power to 1000 watts. And to 10,000 watts in 1959. The old 1240 frequency was revived in 1977, when CJNB opened CJNS in Meadow Lake.

Image

In 1955 at 7:00 p.m., CKX-TV Brandon signed on to Channel 5, more than two years before microwave brought live CBC programming to the station. Those earlier years featured film and kinescoped CBC programming. Owner CKX-AM, which later became Craig Media, had purchased the radio station from the Manitoba government when they were forced by the federal government to sell their radio stations after World War II.

In 2003, CIAM-FM Fort Vermillion (Alberta) signed on at 4:45 p.m. on 92.3 MHz with 30 watts. Repeaters have since been added at Buffalo Head, Foggy Mountain, Red Earth, Watt Mountain, Slave Lake, Weberville and Hines Creek.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9168
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests