Broadcast History - February 12

Broadcast History - February 12

Postby jon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:48 pm

In 1934, CKY Winnipeg moved back to its 1925 frequency of 780 KHz. From 910 KHz, which had been home for only 8 months. That same year, on December 1, CKY increased power from 5000 to 15,000 watts. CKY had been on the air since March 13, 1923, when the federal and provincial government agreed that the Manitoba government would control Radio in the province of Manitoba. Both CJGC and CJNC were shut down, and CKY signed on. The CBC bought CKY on July 1, 1948, changing call letters to CBW on September 3, with 50,000 watts from a new transmitter site 45 miles South West of Winnipeg. Lloyd Moffat reclaimed the CKY call letters for his new station soon after.

In 1940, CKWX was approved by the CBC, then also the broadcast regulator, for an increase from 100 to 1000 watts. Just six weeks earlier, Harold Carson (Taylor, Pearson and Carson) had moved to Vancouver from Calgary to take over management of CKWX. With the power increase approval in hand, Carson quickly moved forward by purchasing 20 acres of land on Lulu Island and erecting a transmitter building to house a new 1,000-watt Collins 20-H transmitter. A 250 ft. tower, quarter-wave antenna, and radial ground wave system were installed at the transmitter site. Short-wave station CKFX was also established, providing service on the international 49-metre band at 6080 kHz. Carson's CCF bio is at http://broadcasting-history.ca/personal ... n-harold-r

In 2003, CKFU-FM Fort St. John was approved by the CRTC on 100.1 MHz with 50 watts. Moose-FM signed on at 10:01 a.m. on September 1st of the same year.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests