Broadcast History - April 3

Broadcast History - April 3

Postby jon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:49 pm

In 1944, and hard to imagine during the middle of World War II, but Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, was issued an experimental FM license. VE9BH with 250 watts. I haven't made a life's work of it, but I have been unable to determine what frequency they were on. Around 44MHz I would guess.

In 1957, it was CKSA's official opening, even though they'd already been on the air for a few days. The "SA" in the call letters stood for Saskatchewan-Alberta because Lloydminster straddles the border. 1150 kHz with 1,000 watts of power.

In 1994, Edmonton's CJCA returned to the air under new management, but it would be about six months before the CRTC approved the ownership change. Former Edmonton TV News anchor, Doug Main, was the public face of CJCA, stating that the station was more a commercial Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) station, than a "Religious Station" in the traditional (U.S.) sense.

In 2006, Calgary's 66-CFR switched from Oldies to 660 News, with a lot of help from CKWX staff.

jon
Advanced Member

Return to Today in Broadcast History