Broadcast History - April 23

Broadcast History - April 23

Postby jon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:49 pm

In 1922, 10AB hit the Moose Jaw airwaves as a non-commercial station on 1200 KHz with 50 watts. Financial support dried up on November 11, 1933, but a company was formed and a commercial license granted, with CHAB the call letters assigned for the December 17th sign-on. Moose Jaw was one of the few Canadian communities to do fairly well during the Depression, as a favourite spot of Chicago gangsters like Al Cappone, when the heat got too hot south of the 49th parallel.

In 1962, Toronto's CJBC-860 began providing a half-hour of news and commentary in French from Montreal, weeknights at 10 p.m.; on Saturdays and Sundays a 10 minute newscast in French aired at 10 p.m. On October 1, 1964, CJBC went French full-time. In 1948, when the CBC still regulated Radio in Canada, CFRB had been forced to swap frequencies with CJBC, and CJBC immediately went to 50,000 watts non-directional, sharing CBL's single 647 foot tower. Such tower sharing was rare in those days, having been perfected in the Pacific during World War II by Alan Roycroft, who would later apply it to Honolulu stations he engineered. The shared CBL-CJBC tower lasted until 1991 when it was replaced on the same site.

Image

In 2000, what may be the world's first true radio station left its long-time home of 600 KHz. Montreal's CFCF moved from 1030 to 600 KHz in 1933, but this 1999-2000 move, to 940 KHz and 50,000 watts, was more complicated. CKNN-940 began testing in November 1999, quickly switched call letters to CINW, replaced CIQC-600 on December 14, but CIQC-600 continued simulcasting CINW-940 until April 23, 2000. In 1919, the Marconi Company was assigned the call letters XWA as an experimental station. The first "real" radio broadcast occurred on May 20, 1920, playing records, weather forecasts and rip and read News. On November 4, 1922, XWA became CFCF with 500 watts on 440 metres.

In 2004, the CRTC denied the first of two unsuccessful Standard Radio applications to move CHOR-1450 Summerland to FM. The CRTC projected coverage would include Penticton, where Standard already owned two FM stations. The first application was for 5000 watts on the existing CJMG-FM tower. The second application, in 2005, was for 250 watts, on the existing AM tower. A third application, approved June 17, 2010, was finally successful, with an average ERP of 20 watts and a maximum of 100 watts. CHOR started out in 1972 as CKSP.

Image
User avatar
jon
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 am
Location: Edmonton

Return to Today in Broadcast History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest