April 2012 Canadian Radio News

April 2012 Canadian Radio News

Postby Dan Sys » Wed May 02, 2012 10:21 am

CANADIAN RADIO NEWS

For APRIL, 2012

MAY 1, 2012

RADIO ACTIVITY

FORMAT CHANGES
ON Brantford 1380 CKPC From Country to adds Christian (weekdays 1PM-7PM)

NEW STATIONS LAUNCHED
ON Thamesville 104.3 CKBK Aboriginal (Gordon Peters)
SK Island Lake 106.5 CIFN Aboriginal (Island Lake First Nations)

CALL LETTER DATA
ON Windsor 102.3 CJNR-cp Will become CINA-FM (Neeti P. Ray)
SK Weyburn 106.7 new Will become CHWY (Golden West)

BRANDINGS
BC Penticton 100.7 CIGV From GIANT FM to COUNTRY 100.7

CRTC & IC DECISIONS

NEW STATIONS GRANTED
ON Uxbridge 105.5 372 watts (900 watts Max. ERP) (Classic Hits) (Frank Torres)

TECHNICAL CHANGES GRANTED
BC Port Moody 98.7 CKPM-cp Increase power from 470 to 540 watts (1,000 watts Max. ERP), raise antenna height and relocate transmitter (extension granted to Nov. 30, 2012 to get the station on the air)
BC Salmo 92.1 CFAD Move to 91.1, increase power from 5 to 60 watts, lower antenna height, and upgrade status from a developmental community radio station to a regular low-power FM community station

DENIALS
ON Ottawa 1630 1,000 watts fulltime (Arabic) (Radio Moyen Orient) (rejected because the proposed programming did not meet the objectives set out in the CRTC's Ethnic broadcasting policy and concerns were raised about the financial impact on existing Multilingual station CJLL 97.9)
QC Perce 97.3 50 watts (Hot AC) (French) (Radio du Golfe) (would have simulcasted CFMV 96.3 Chandler) (concerns of possible interference to CJRG-2 97.3 in Fontenelle and the applicants history of non-compliance were cited as the reasons)

CRTC APPLICATIONS

PROPOSED NEW STATIONS
NF Grand Bank 103.9 5 watts (Community/Country) (Larry Osmond) (calls will be CIJL)
NF Rocky Harbour 98.1 50 watts (Community) (will simulcast CHBB 95.9 Norris Point)
ON Clarence-Rockland 92.5 300 watts (AC) (Evanov)

PROPOSED TECHNICAL CHANGES
AB Lac La Biche 89.9 CFWE Move to 90.5, increase power from 10 watts to 19,600 watts, raise antenna height and relocate transmitter. If approved the following stations will go off the air; VF2242 Beaver Lake, VF2244 Buffalo Lake, VF2183 Goodfish Lake, and VF2254 Kikino (all operating on 89.9 with 10 watts)
BC Lake Cowichan 98.7 CICV Move to 97.5, increase power from 5 watts to 50 watts, raise antenna height and upgrade status from a developmental community radio station to a regular low-power FM community station
NB Moncton 90.1 CIRM Move to 96.3 and increase power from 50 to 250 watts
ON Stouffville 102.7 CIWS Increase power from 50 to 193 watts (675 watts Max. ERP) and raise antenna height
QC Longueuil 98.5 CHMP Increase power from 40,000 to 100,000 watts and raise antenna height
QC Montreal 92.5 CKBE Increase power from 41,400 to 100,000 watts and raise antenna height

APPLICATION WITHDRAWN
ON Orangeville 101.5 338 watts (625 watts Max. ERP) (AC) (My Broadcasting Corporation)

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
WINNIPEG - The CRTC has received an application by Nostalgia Broadcasting Cooperative for a broadcasting licence to operate a new FM radio station to serve Winnipeg, Manitoba. Given the scarcity of FM frequencies in the Winnipeg market, the CRTC is calling for applications from
other parties wishing to obtain a radio licence to serve this area. Nostalgia Broadcasting currently operates the low power “special events” station CJNU 107.9 in Winnipeg.

Next update June 1, 2012
Send tips to sysdan@gmail.com
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Re: April 2012 Canadian Radio News

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Interesting to see the application from low power "Special Events Station CJNU" applying for a full-time licence in Winnipeg.

I think I've seen this movie before!

I wish them good luck with the transition to full-time operations. At the moment, under the provisions of Exemption Order 1993-45, they can only broadcast for a 28 day interval, then must have a 24 hour break before starting another 28 day period of continuous operation. They use that 24 hour interval to move the studio equipment to the next worthy cause they broadcast on behalf of. A clause I remember very clearly.

Quite clever actually, someone with some federal government legal training in regulatory interpretation noticed that in the CRTC Licence Exemption Order and began conducting operations in the Low Power FM "Special Events Radio" category about 1995 as CKVN-FM.

AWG
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Re: April 2012 Canadian Radio News

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Wed May 16, 2012 1:48 am

Hi Everyone,
Hope all is going well for you out in B.C. Dan. Just thought I would post a few comments from radio station heaven in Ontario. Love the radio conditions in beautiful Baltimore, Ontario which are far superior to Langley City. I*m here for two months or more and the radio dial is just booming with tons of stations from all over Eastern North America with little static and noise yet. The thunderstorm season here has not really started. I have been here since Thursday, May 12th and sure am glad I made the trip. Updating all my mailorder business, station stickers, coverage maps and surveys here.

Now getting to radio station news. had a wonderful trip across Canada listening to many stations and a couple notes: CJRN 710 in Niiagara Falls Ontario announces themselves as the world's largest tourist station with a fulltime tourist radio format. They have much varied tourist and historical information about the Niagara area and the Falls. Quite interesting to listen to them compared to short repeating information found on other tourist stations. I heard CJNU FM in Winnipeg and they seemed to be programming some nostalgia music and info. when I heard them. Also CFRM-FM in Little Current, Ontario is a fanstastic community commercial station on Manitourlin Island that started out as a 5 watt Developmental FM several years ago but is now several thousand watts with country and lesser heard country music and some live country music. They even had stuff about the top 10 computer scams on the internet. I believe the station is owned by Craig Timmerman who owns a computer company as well. One of the best FM local programmed stations around. I was very impressed by CFRM's local programming for Manitoulin Island and the Lake Huron area. CKNT 960 Mississauga is not on-air yet. 1050 AM Toronto is ESPN Sports, think the call letters are still CHUM. Have not heard an actual station ID with call letters yet. A lot of the Toronto stations and Hamilton stations just blast into Cobourg/Baltimore in the daytime. Yes I did listen to a bit of CKOT 1510 Tillsonburg here and hope to visit them in the next month or so, thats Canada's only Daytime station.

Dan found a lot of radio stations stickers here I did not know I had including WFLR 1570 Dundee, New York in the Finger Lakes area from about 10 years ago, they sent me a very nice t-shirt that I had forgotten about thats heres back then too. Also have one from CJKX FM in Ajax. Love CKDO 1590 Oshawa, Ontario Oldies format. CHTO 1690 Toronto has a Greek Format with English at 8 PM Daily Eastern Time.

Well thats about it for now. If you want to email me Dan about further radio info. from Ontario for the CRTC News feel free to do so. Just getting used to this new laptop with the built-in mouse here.

Take care everyone, hope all is well where you are. Having a great spring 2012 here!!!!!
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News