UP 97.7 Calgary is now specialty format free

UP 97.7 Calgary is now specialty format free

Postby radiofan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:06 pm

UP 97.7 no longer tied to specialty format regs

CHUP-FM Calgary – Licence renewal and amendment

The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio station CHUP-FM Calgary from 1 September 2013 to 31 August 2020.
The Commission approves the applicant’s request that CHUP-FM no longer operate within the specialty format.

Read the entire CRTC decision

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: UP 97.7 Calgary is now specialty format free

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Some "cheap" advice for Rawlco. Go Country and take on Country 105 or sell the station to Harvard and let them take on Country 105.

Last time I checked, Country 105 was the highest rated Calgary music station with the best combined adult 25 to 44 ratings in the city. AM 1060 was never much of a competitor but a solid FM operation might be (so long as it ain't "Big Earl" a la Newcap in Edmonton that lost the battle against CISN Country 103.9).
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:Some "cheap" advice for Rawlco. Go Country and take on Country 105 or sell the station to Harvard and let them take on Country 105.

Last time I checked, Country 105 was the highest rated Calgary music station with the best combined adult 25 to 44 ratings in the city. AM 1060 was never much of a competitor but a solid FM operation might be (so long as it ain't "Big Earl" a la Newcap in Edmonton that lost the battle against CISN Country 103.9).

I'm not a Country music fan, but I know there were a lot of radio people who thought that Big Earl would work. And they didn't all work for Newcap. A Jack format for Contemporary Country sure did sound like a good idea.

Even the timing was right as CISN had temporarily lost their focus and started mixing in some traditional country in an attempt to steal listeners from CFCW-AM.

The bottom line though is that Edmonton ebbs and flows in terms of Country Music listenership, but there are rarely enough listeners to spread across three stations and still get the kind of ratings that will make you the kind of money owners expect these days.

To quote WKRP's Johnny Fever: "I was kinda hopin' for an All Hawaiian format."
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Rocky » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:33 pm

jon wrote:To quote WKRP's Johnny Fever: "I was kinda hopin' for an All Hawaiian format."

All Hawaiian in Calgary. Kewl!

How about 1-800-GET-LEID for the request line # ?
Rocky
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:29 am

Lots of options for Rawlco now. With the removal of the specialty status, the station is now worth more money.

Is it too late to retool and adjust the format and hope finally for the success Up! has had in Edmonton? Is there a chance 97.7 could become Now with a Hot A-c/Top 40 mix or has AMP beat them to that
with the recent addition of some non curret material stretching back to the 90s?

Rawlco and Harvard both have single stations in a major market. How long until we see a sale here?

albertaboy4life wrote:Some "cheap" advice for Rawlco. Go Country and take on Country 105 or sell the station to Harvard and let them take on Country 105.

Rumblings on the streets of Calgary point to Pattison flipping Kool to Country once they get settled in their new home.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby RoadRunner65 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:20 pm

Just got an email from UP 977. Looks like they will be playing 80's at nite starting this Sunday at 8pm everyday

RR65 :yahoo:
RoadRunner65
Advanced Member

Postby RoadRunner65 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:40 am

There now 977 Calgary's Biggest Variety

RR65 :)
RoadRunner65
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News