CRTC Commercial Radio Policy Review

CRTC Commercial Radio Policy Review

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:20 pm

I don't believe this has been mentioned but now is the chance for those still in, or retired from commercial radio, 'armchair PD's" etc to make a submission to the feds partial review and overhaul of the Commercial Radio Policies:

http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-572.htm

They have extended the submission dates for interventions to Jan 30, 2014 with 'Replies' submitted no later than Apr 30, 2014. Instructions for intervening online or via 'snailmail' plus a link to do so are on the page above. Comments and input are requested on a number of topics including license streamlining, protected frequency status, reporting of national & local ads, CCD requirements, market assessments, HD & other emerging technologies, compliance/non-compliance, overhaul & revamp of audio logging and reporting requirements.

I am planning to submit comments arguing for an overhaul of the temporary 5-watt "Developmental License" into a permanent "micro-station" license. I also plan a submission commenting on expansion of the FM broadcast band to include 76-88 mHz as is being implemented in Brazil and under consideration in a few other countries as well. Now's the time to convert all the bitching we do about radio into comments that can be submitted. Getting the CRTC to adopt this stuff & act upon it is a whole different matter. However, making submissions show we at least would like to try and make some changes to improve the outlook for the future of commercial radio. If nothing else, it's worth a reading :santa3:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Re: CRTC Commercial Radio Policy Review

Postby jon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:06 pm

One more day to go.

I bit. And commented on:
  1. How the huge bandwidth of HD Radio will ruin future initiatives to tighten up channel separations in the same or adjacent markets, mainly on FM, though I did also talk about 1550 Point Roberts and 1570 Nanaimo
  2. How HD Radio could be a backdoor for owning more than 2 same language FM stations in a market
  3. Rewording of logger "tape recordings" requirements, and increasing the period they must be kept by stations
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 am

Greetings,
Thanks for mentioning this Sky Valley and good for you on submitting to the CRTC. I agree with you on 5 watt developmental stations becoming permanent for microbroadcasters. Good idea! Thanks also Jon for commenting too! I am going to try and put in a submission today if I have time. Kind of swamped with a lot of stuff including mailorder this week and having a tough time getting it all down with extreme winter weather conditions in Southern Ontario. Warming up a bit but that means a lot more snow!!!

Anyway I hope your health issues are improving Mike and you are able to be more mobile! Take care especially if the weather turns ugly out there too.

Weather has been doing some pretty amazing things lately, even the deep south got extreme weather.

Lots going on in the USA with Low Power FM stations. FCC received close to 3000 applications on their filing window in November 2013 and have already licensed close to 500 new Low Power FM stations from those in just over a week. They licensed close 200 in less than 2 days a record for new broadcast stations licensed. I am watching it closely and have been compiling a updated directory on all the Local Independent New LPFMs in the USA as well as previous ones out of the 760 already on the air since 2001! I have also been in touch with quite a few low power equipment suppliers and consultants in the USA. One fella in particular who has helped many lpfm stations get through FCC hoops is a LPFM FAYnatic to say the least, great guy!!!

Anyway good luck Sky Valley (Mike) on your submission to the CRTC. You know the more I think about it , I think you could be an excellent advisor and service Sky Valley to those wanting to start licensed Low Power FM stations in Canada! You know a lot about radio and did an excellent job for CFSI, too bad the direction CFSI has ended up going in after you left because of ownership though....

All the best to all those submitting comments to the CRTC... Has anyone attended the CRTC Hearings at Sheraton Hotel in Guildford (Surrey) this week?

Take care, 73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:53 am

Greetings,
To anyone wanting to hear what one of the new USA Lpfm sounds like check out the KFUG LPFM website. They are from Crescent City, California and were a Part 15 Legal AM non-licensed station on 1570 khz. in the USA for several years. They applied for a LPFM license in the last year, got in the November 2013 FCC Filing Window (last one the FCC had was 10 years ago or so, you can ONLY Apply in the USA for a LPFM during FCC Filing Windows which are limited times), and just got their FM LPFM license granted on Jan. 17, 2014 and were on the air the next day with 100 Watts at 101.1 FM... They also stream on the internet and have been doing that for quite awhile. Completely Local independent station with a lot of interesting rock and local programming! If you get a chance check them out, I really like their website and all the purple on the KFUG Tower picture!

Washington State has quite a few LPFMs already on the air from 2001 onward and has gotten about half a dozen local independent new LPFMs licensed in the past week, one in Burlington, Washington been the latest.

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:12 pm

[quote="Eldon-Mr.CFAY"],
To anyone wanting to hear what one of the new USA Lpfm sounds like check out the KFUG LPFM website. They are from Crescent City, California !....... If you get a chance check them out, I really like their website and all the purple on the KFUG Tower picture!
{/quote]
Eldon, here is their facebook link to the live audio stream......
https://www.facebook.com/kfugradio/app_109602199135000
.... And the link to photos on facebook..........
https://www.facebook.com/kfugradio/photos_stream
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:45 pm

I've just finished submitting my comments. These should be available for viewing as of tomorrow on the "Interventions" page, but it looks as though early April will be the earliest the CRTC examines these
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:14 pm

The Interventions page is already available at:
https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/ListeIn ... t=i&lang=e

Sky's comments aren't there yet, of course, but quite a few others are. One that caught my eye was from iBiquity themselves, the owner of the proprietary IBOC technology being discussed under the name "HD Radio".
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:59 pm

An intervention filed by Nautel, the Canadian transmitter maker that makes the 2 million watt AM transmitters mentioned in another thread, states that "our neighbor to the south [is] now selling millions of HD Radio equipped receivers of all types".

First I've heard about mass availability of HD Radio receivers in the U.S. Though a quick look as I write this displays quite a few for sale on eBay.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:30 pm

jon wrote:An intervention filed by Nautel, the Canadian transmitter maker that makes the 2 million watt AM transmitters mentioned in another thread, states that "our neighbor to the south [is] now selling millions of HD Radio equipped receivers of all types".

First I've heard about mass availability of HD Radio receivers in the U.S. Though a quick look as I write this displays quite a few for sale on eBay.

The iBiquity intervention to the CRTC answers my question about the millions of HD Radio receivers in the U.S. And gives some numbers for Canada:
The following automotive brands offer HD Radio receivers in their cars sold in Canada: Acura, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Ram, Rolls-Royce, Scion, Subaru, Tesla, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo. In addition, Chrysler, Honda, Kia, and Lamborghini will have vehicles with HD Radio receivers available for the Canadian market in 2014. iBiquity estimates there are approximately a half million vehicles in use in Canada with HD Radio receivers that were installed as original equipment, and an additional half million HD Radio equipped vehicles will be sold in 2014.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Now that the deadline has passed (Thursday), it looks like there were 51 interventions, including 6 not posted because of issues, likely confidentiality or bad formatting of documents.

Only a handful are by individuals. The rest are from companies with a financial interest in HD Radio technology and groups like the CAB.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News