CRTC Hearings begin Monday in Surrey

CRTC Hearings begin Monday in Surrey

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 am

Canada NewsWire
OTTAWA-GATINEAU, Jan. 24, 2014 /CNW -

Starting on Monday, January 27,
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)
will be holding a public hearing in Surrey, British Columbia to
consider a variety of radio applications.

If you plan on attending the hearing or would like more information
about the hearing, please contact Media Relations at 819-997-9403 or by
email at communications@crtc.gc.ca.

You can listen to the hearing through a live audio feed available on our
website at: www.crtc.gc.ca

Are you interesting in following the hearing? Follow us on Twitter: @CRTChearings, hashtags: #CRTC, #SurreyPH

Reference document:
Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2013-568 - Notice of Hearing - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-568.htm SOURCE Canadian
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: CRTC Hearings begin Monday in Surrey

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:04 pm

If you are going to listen to this, make certain that you have your "Bulls**t Detector" set to the highest level.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:40 pm

I was hoping they would have a video feed so we could all see first hand what a Brand Captain looks like. Does he really have a patch over his eye, a peg leg and a parrot on his shoulder, and does he sway when he is standing still?

Certainly one of the presenters must already have a Brand Captain in place.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:If you are going to listen to this, make certain that you have your "Bulls**t Detector" set to the highest level.

Take it from the expert.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:19 am

radiofan wrote:If you plan on attending the hearing

I read the source document - has anyone watched paint dry. :tonguewaving:

Think of how much gardening you could get done - or maybe write a book on your great-grandmother. :rockon:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi Everyone,
Well this is the first CRTC Hearing for radio station applications ever held in Surrey. I am very familiar with the Sheraton as I have dinner there a couple of times a few years ago with Mrs. CFAY when we were at Guildford. Unfortunately when my Dad died circumstances were not too pleasant but we had our large family luncheon reception at the Guildford Sheraton.

I have attended CRTC Hearings in Edmonton, Vancouver and Ottawa among other places over the last 30 years. However have not attended any in the past 8 or 9 years. The one at the Chateau Lacombe in Edmonton quite a few years ago, early 90s I think or late 80s maybe was great. Warning they can be quite boring unless you are really into details on applications! Also has Mike has pointed you better get your shovel out as there is a lot of BS especially in recent years from certain applications promising the world and delivering not anywhere near what they are telling the CRTC!!!! I think in years past going back 25 or 30 years applicants for stations , renewals etc. seemed to be a bit more honest from what I saw and the results following the hearings!

I really wanted to attend this CRTC Hearing just because it is the first one ever held in Surrey for radio applications and because I grew up in the North Surrey and operated CFAY there for quite a few years in the late 60s to mid-70s!

However unfortunately I have had some illness on and off since christmas. Worse yet I have had to reschedule my train trip back out to British Columbia twice so far. I am buried in almost 4 feet of snow and frigid cold weather here in Southern ONtario in the Cobourg area. Wind chill in Toronto tonight will be Minus 32 Celsius. Right now with the bright sun shining after 6 more inches of snow on top of the other 3 feet here it is only 10 degrees F. this afternoon! Witnsessed the worst blizzard of my life (beyond anything I saw in Calgary living there in the 1980s.) this past weekend. Also the worst freezing rain storm on Dec. 21, 2013. So extreme winter weather in Southern Ontario continues on, they say its the worst in 25 years here! Trains, planes etc. delayed and cancelled many days since just before christmas.

So with so much snow and ice I am waiting till it warms up a bit to travel. Come to think of it even with the huge snowstorms here perhaps I am not missing much. The CRTC Guildford Sheraton Hearing might be like ONE BIG SNOWJOB TOO!!!!

Take care everyone and if you attend the hearing this week take along some good headphones and music to listen to for a break!!!

73s All the best from Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Eldon-Mr.CFAY wrote:Hi Everyone, I am buried in almost 4 feet of snow and frigid cold weather here in Southern ONtario in the Cobourg area.

Well, your wifi seems to be OK for being under so much snow. :carrot:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi Everyone,
Yep Wi-Fi is working right now, it has been off a couple times with COGECO Cable been down for a couple of 10 hour segments this month. Just heard amazing weather that Florida has gotten snow, the sign Welcome To Florida, The Sunshine State is covered in snow. Extreme winter weather warning for the deep south of the United States tonight and Tuesday for up to 6 inches of snow., That in SE. Georgia, lowlands of South Carolina, Texas Gulf Coast and parts of Florida!!! Goodbye oranges!!!

Take care everyone, will California and BC be next????

All the best from Eldon!(CHECK out USA Weather service or google it for photos and information!)
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 pm

When will see Newcap's hearings on their Vancouver station purchases and why is this thing dragging out?

With satellite and Internet radio, the days of letting an ownership change of a station drag on for 6, 9 or 12 months should be gone. These things should be approved more quickly, with less scrutiny when the case (such as this) is such that the buyer (Newcap) doesn't own any existing stations within that market. There's clearly no issues with the Common Ownership Policy and, as far as "tangible benefits" are concerned, the CRTC should outline a standard policy for "tangible benefits" in various markets and that way, this sort of acquisition could be dealt with administratively - by the CRTC secretariat and approved by the Secretary General as all CRTC board policies are being adhered to with no variance.

Anyone else think that makes sense?

Also, I really don't like the current CRTC chairman, Jean-Pierre Blahblah or whatever is name is. Seems on a bit of a power trip, even as the CRTC's powers have been slowly eroding and an ego the size of Ontario. Von Fincklestein (or whatever!) was much better, more cerebral, less bias. The way a CRTC chairman should be! :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to CRTC News