Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 7

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 7

Postby radiofan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1971 ... The one and only hit for The Glass Bottle - "I Ain't Got Time Anymore" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_SQHOYcYQ

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 7

Postby drmusic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:51 am

Fun fact #1: Co-produced by Dickie "Mr. Jaws" Goodman
Fun fact #2: Was in the US top 40 for three weeks. The first two weeks American Top 40 inadvertently played the B-side, so the correct song only got played in its final week.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:42 pm

Didn't even realize this was cancon. I am new to the site and have been reading all of the of old posts regarding the cancon regs from a few years ago.
Lots of heated debate!

I am a former radio announcer from the 70's thru to the early 90's and enjoyed my time on the air and later moved radio sales and later into newspaper and magazine sales. Retired about a year ago and just work part time a few days a week now. Still love broadcasting and try to have a vague idea what is going on with both radio and tv networks, formats etc.

Six months ago i purchased a new vehicle that included 3 months free of XM Sirius satellite radio. Liked it ok at first but I did find the pop music channels repetitive and the "wow" factor of that long lost gem that you hadn't heard in years quickly wore off because you would hear it again and again and again over the next few weeks. Also many of the announcers sound that they put little effort into their shows. Mostly interested in just hitting the "post" or vocal on the song into. Some of the MTV vj's are not very good hosting a radio program, no real content.

I thought on many of the top 40 stations (70's on 7, 80's on 8, 90's on 9 etc). .something was missing. Then I realized that these stations played very little cancon, and I was missing it! Never will you hear The Hip, Blue Rodeo, Joey Gregorash, A Foot in Cold Water, Pagliaro or even more current artists like Hedley or Down with Webster. All those songs and artists that were not popular anywhere but here, and as this site shows there are many examples of this.

Anyway I mentioned to XM that they should consider a few pop stations with more cancon in the mix, sort of what Stingray music does. The CBC music stations is ok but it is too alternative for me. I got the impression from the person I spoke to that this had come up a fair bit with other subscribers over the years.....

Now to briefly change topics- I agree from some of the previous posts in another forum a few years back that it was FM radio that ultimately killed CKLW and not the fact they were playing 30% Canadian music. I know it wasn't cancon because I was in Detroit in March 1976 and seeing billboards for CKLW that stated that they were Detroit's number one radio station. Now they didn't say what demographic or if it was total audience but if it was not true I am sure lawsuits would have been flying. And this was five years after LW was "forced" to play more Canadian music. Also CKLW by the late 70's was sounding very dated in their approach and style, other stations were doing a better job, better talent, jingles, promotions etc. 1050 chum went through the same thing around 1982/83, CFTR started to eat their lunch, and of course FM radio was well on the way in overtaking any AM music station. Like most things the switch to FM for music began a few years sooner in the USA around 1978/79.

Anyway sorry for the long winded message. Promise, I will not be a message hog in the future! I listen to some of the Pattison radio stations on line, they put most of the stations around here to shame. Their music formats are interesting, good on air talent and they sound connected to their communities. Hopefully Jim will see fit to buy or open a few stations out east sometime and shake things up! All the best everyone, spring is almost here!!!

Cheers,
Alex Paterson
Kitchener, ON
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:57 pm

I too am surprised to find this song qualified as CanCon. Help us out, Dr Music. Fifteen minutes of Googling reveals that the band was American, the songwriters British (Cliff Richard's version charted in the U.K.) and the producer possibly European. The label Avco Embassy was a spinoff from a film company of the same name. Its only apparent Canadian link was releasing Gordon Sinclair's spoken word tribute The Americans in 1974. So I'm itching to learn the Canadian connection to this long-ago and memorable pop hit.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 pm

It is quite likely this was recorded in the states and was mixed down and mastered in Windsor or Toronto. In the early 1970's this was done with a number of songs so they would qualify as
Can-Con and get airplay on CKLW and CHUM.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Recordman » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 am

According to my A Chartology of Canadian Popular Music Jan 1965-Dec 1976 Brendan J. Lyttle I Ain`t Got Time Anymore-Glass Bottle Production (P) is Canadian.
Recordman
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:20 pm

Didn't we just establish a few weeks ago that the P is for "Performance," not "Production"? Anyway, that's only one out of four -- were any members of the band originally from Canada?

I'm stumped. I know this has always been played by Canadian oldies stations far out of proportion with its US chart peak of 36, so I assumed it was CanCon, somehow.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day