Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 13

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 13

Postby radiofan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1969 ,,, Tom Northcott and "Girl From The North Country" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4RbbK9ziY

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 13

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Talk about a Renaissance Man. Tom Northcott morphed from a singer to a co-owner of New Syndrome Records and later a studio. By the late '70s he'd altered course to become a fisherman before hitting the books to earn a law degree and later specialized as a mediator.

Last I heard, Tom had moved to Kamloops. North Country was one of many fabulous sides he cut in Los Angeles with top flight Warner Bros. producers. (Note that Lenny Waronker and Leon Russell handled chores for this single.) It's baffling that of all the great Warner sessions, only 1941 (written by a then-unknown Harry Nilsson) charted on Billboard. North Country stands as one of my favourite Dylan covers.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm

I, too, really like this version of the Dylan song.

With nothing more than my memory to go by, I think this song was played more times on CKLG-FM than any other Tom Northcott song ever was.

On the AM side of the house, "Sunny Goodge Street" made it to #1 on CKLG-AM and #2 on CFUN.

Amazingly, Tom had ten songs that cracked the Top 15 of CFUN, CKLG-AM and/or CKVN. Sadly, though eight songs charted on RPM, only one, Crazy Jane, did better than #20.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Sunny Goodge Street should have charted in Billboard. It got a lot of airplay on the West Coast, was Top 10 at KFRC in Sanfrancisco.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day