Can-Con 45 Of The Day - August 24

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - August 24

Postby radiofan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1975 ... Michel Pagliaro and "What The Hell I Got" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JtmGo8rfAo

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - August 24

Postby Richard Skelly » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 am

I remember interviewing Pag around the time of this single. My girlfriend got weak in the knees around him. Michel played a run at The Body Shop. Quite the charismatic, he wore a lot of leather (man, it must have been hot under those lights).

Just like fellow Montrealer Gino Vannelli, Mr. P was not the most loquacious of interview subjects. Unlike Gino, Pag seemed content to mainly be a huge deal in Quebec. At least in our interactions, he didn't seem all that fixated on success outside La Belle Province. But this 45, along with earlier singles Lovin' You Ain't Easy, Rainshower and, my personal fave, Some Sing Some Dance stand the test of time.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - August 24

Postby paterson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:23 pm

I interviewed Michel back late 1974 when he was in Toronto recording material for Pagliaro 1 which included What the Hell I Got. He was recording at the RCA studios on Mutual Street, near Maple Leaf Gardens. This building was originally built for 1050 CHUM in the late 40's or early 50's. Pag and his producer George Lagios and his label RCA were very gracious letting me tour the studios and interviewing Michel. I was a broadcast student at the time and was looking to put together a radio documentary on him. Didn't realize that he would record in Toronto from time to time, even for some French recordings.

Pagliaro's first English album was on CHUM's MUCH label and included Lovin you Ain't Easy, Rainshowers and Some Sing, Some Dance. Sure Maybe was also released as a single in 1974 and charted on quite a few radio stations. One rare song on the MUCH label was under the name of Second Helping with the song We're Dancing (til it blows over) you can find it on You Tube and you will likely recognize this hard to find song. It was released twice; in 1970 and again with a punchier version in 1972. Pagliaro told me that he already had material out already, so he released this song under the name of Second Helping. The first English album was recorded mostly at Toronto Sound Studios but the mixing of the LP was at Apple studios in London and I read liner notes that said that Rainshowers was also recorded at Apple. All of the other songs appear to be recorded at Toronto Sound.

Michel and his band played in Kitchener ON at the Blues Festival a few weeks back and the crowd loved him. He played all of his English hits and the audience response was immediate. People even recognized a few of his French hits as well. He had never played in Kitchener before at the Blues Festival and he and the band seemed pleased with the large crowd's enthusiasm. Pag was quite chatty between songs and has a good sense of humour. He also played earlier this week at the CNE in Toronto, so it is great to see him tour have a few dates outside of Quebec. I know that Michel has tons of fans in the west and I hope that they have the chance to see him live.

I really enjoy the cancon 45 of the day and the charts and jingle of the day as well. This is a fantastic site! I check it out pretty much every day.
paterson
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day