Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 3

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 3

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from late 1968 .. an early hit for Montreal's Andy Kim ... "Rainbow Ride" ...

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 3

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Whether co-writing Sugar Sugar for The Archies or covering Baby I Love You himself, Andy Kim seldom created music with an edge. To my ears, Rainbow Ride was a refreshing exception. Whether due to the underlying thrum or the arpeggio guitar, this little number cooks. Andy was actually signed to Steed, a boutique label run by his then-collaborator Jeff Barry. Dot Records distributed Steed in the US. Here in Andy's native land, Quality released this on the Dot imprint with Steed getting a label credit.

After his joyful 1974 comeback with the funk/pop ear worm Rock Me Gently, Andy slowly receded from the scene. For a time, he enjoyed a turntable hit or two in Canada under the alias Baron Longfellow. But much like Terry Jacks, who inspired a very young Kurt Cobain, Andy enjoyed residual good will with younger peers. Not too long ago, Kevin Drew (Broken Social Scene) produced an indie-tinged album for Mr Kim, co-writing a number of tracks.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day