Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 3

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 3

Postby radiofan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1995 ... Jeff Healey covers Spirit's 1969 hit "I Got A Line On You" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDDkbpeHdhA

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 3

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:38 am

I remember watching a Patrick Swayze movie (Roadhouse???) and bolting upright in surprise when Jeff and the boys let it rip as the house band. As for I’ve Got A Line On You, Roy Bittan took time off from the E Street Band to add keyboards on that session.

I always wondered how a mid-tier act (in terms of sales) like the Jeff Healey Band could snag George Harrison to add guitar and backup vocals to their version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Perhaps the Quiet Beatle was impressed in 1995 with Jeff’s rendering of Badge on the original Cover To Cover JHB album? Badge was a Harrison-Eric Clapton composition that was Cream’s final hit single. (Jeff also revived Yer Blues, a Lennon-McCartney screamer from the double White Album.)

In any event, George Harrison’s studio assist must have been one of his final sessions. George died in 2001 while While My Guitar Gently Weeps got released the next year. Sad that someone as relatively young as Jeff had so little time left himself. He remains a terrific Canadian blues trailblazer.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day