Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 26

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 26

Postby radiofan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1977 ... Toulouse and "It Always Happens This Way" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZC2W2a3-s

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - December 26

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:31 pm

I like this tune. 1977 was a great year for music.
Thanks, RadioFan.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:08 pm

There was a vibrant disco-music scene out of Montreal, starting around 1976. In fact, it probably began even earlier if you remember the less-intrusive rhythmns incorporated by hometown boys Andy Kim (Rock Me Gently) and Gino Vannelli (People Gotta Move). It all made sense. Even in 1974 Montreal (when I lived there several months), the Crescent Street clubs were awash with superbly dressed Mademoiselles et Monsieurs. With my “West Coast chic,” I looked like a rube from James Bay.

The Toulouse ladies were glamorous, with good vocal chops, plus the wit to re-record some songs with additional English verses (for the lucrative New York dance market). Otherwise, not much else was newsworthy about the group. I snapped to attention when spotting the name Steve Grossman involved with their Magique label. Turns out he was a musician-turned-recording-exec and not THE Steve Grossman (aka deejay Steve Wonder) so beloved by late-60s radio listeners in Vancouver.

Speaking of whom...Whatever happened to Bossjock extraordinaire Wonder?
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Richard Skelly wrote: I snapped to attention when spotting the name Steve Grossman involved with their Magique label. Turns out he was a musician-turned-recording-exec and not THE Steve Grossman (aka deejay Steve Wonder) so beloved by late-60s radio listeners in Vancouver.

Speaking of whom...Whatever happened to Bossjock extraordinaire Wonder?

It might well have been the CKLG Steve Grossman. In the early 1970s, didn't he run the studio that was up in North Vancouver? (The studio name escapes me).

Last I heard steve was living in L.A. and was involved in computer games.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:06 am

You are correct,sir! Steve (Wonder) Grossman moonlighted from CKLG by getting involved with Coast Records.

Don’t know if Steve was sole proprietor or co-investor at North Shore-based Coast. The boutique label offered Spring its first home. As Feelings Go was a great debut for Terry Frewer, Bob Buckley, Pete McKinnon and Kat Hendrikse. Coast also released a pair of fine 45s—Crying The Blues and My Hometown—by the Seeds Of Time. Members of that group later reassembled, with new lead singer, Ron Tabak (RIP), as Prism. Although Prism never re-recorded those Seeds Of Time oldies, they did memorably (unless my circuits were fried that night) perform My Hometown when they headlined at the Pacific Coliseum around 1979.

In Googling info on Toulouse’s label Magique, the Steve Grossman described seemed to be an active musician who also helped run the label. No mention of any past as a radio announcer. Did CKLG Steve even speak French? Even if the Magique exec was LG’s former Wonder jock, what happened after that? I, too, had always heard Steve headed south (and not east) for unspecified opportunities. Hope he’s alive and well. Anyone who can solve the mystery, please post answers at RadioWest.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 am

From a blurb in Billboard dated August 15, 1970 - Steve Grossman's RBS Studios has signed a distribution deal for his Coast and Spring labels with London Records. Initial releases under the new management would include "New Day" by Vancouver group, Spring, and "My Hometown" by The Seeds Of Time, another West Coast band. Grossman was recently in Toronto and Montreal setting up arrangements.

From an article in Jack Wasserman's Vancouver Sun column, May 27, 1972 - North shore record-makers Steve (Stevie Wonder) Grossman and Brent Jaybush are peddling their RBS studio equipment in preparation for a move to Hollywood where they will go to work for Mike Nichols and Jack Nicholson, making film soundtracks. Nichols et al found Steve and Company when the Hollywood types were here making Carnal Knowledge.
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:44 am

An earlier article in Jack Wasserman's column dated January 24, 1970 states: Stevie Wonder (Grossman) and Brent Jaybush have made a deal to take over the soundstage at West Van's Panorama Studio. They've formed a recording company and their first offering, featuring the local group Spring, comes out today on a single called As Feelings Go.

Steve Grossman and Dennis Jackson were the promoters of the Strawberry Mountain Fair, held May 16th and 17th, 1970 on Nicomen Island, near Mission. The Vancouver Sun stated that 20,000 people attended. Country Joe and the Fish, Big Brother and The Holding Company, Seals & Crofts, The Fourth Way, More To Come, Albert Collins, Redbone and the Small Faces were to attend.
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day