Can-Con 45 Of The Day - February 4

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - February 4

Postby radiofan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1973 ... Ian Thomas and "Painted Ladies" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvY-I9pNpI

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - February 4

Postby jon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Sadly, that is his only song to make the Billboard Hot 100, and it only made it to #34.

To my ear, so much of his later material was as good, if not better, than the similar sounding material coming out of the U.S. and Britain. Songs like "Pilot", "Time is the Keeper" and "The Runner", just to name a few. Although they also did poorly on RPM's Pop charts, many of his songs were still being played on Canadian Adult Contemporary stations decades later.

I've always admired the production values that went into Ian's songs.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - February 4

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:28 am

Good song that evokes Neil “The Loner” Young. And, as Jon notes, Painted Ladies was Ian Thomas’s sole charting single on Billboard. Softening the blow was that many of Ian’s subsequent Canadian hits were successfully covered: Hold On (Santana), The Runner (Manfred Mann’s Earthband) and Right Before Your Eyes (America) to name a few.

Coincidentally, America got its start, two years before Ian, with an even more obvious homage to Neil Young, A Horse With No Name. To my ears, Ian Thomas’s followup to Painted Ladies was much much more Young-inspired. Laden with acoustic guitars and sunny California harmonies, Come The Son only sparked interest on Canadian airwaves.

Both songs, from Ian’s self-named debut album, were produced by John Lombardo. Couldn’t find anything linking him with a John Lombardo of 10,000 Maniacs. Instead,this John appears to be associated with latter day versions of The Dovells and also worked with Little Eva. Thomas and Lombardo obviously clicked because every two or three albums they’d reconnect for new sessions, including The Runner.

Ian produced or co-produced most of his recordings. One in particular, Riders On Dark Horses from 1984, saw two British producers work alongside Ian. They were Max Norman (Ozzy Osbourne, Ian Hunter) and Mick Ronson. Best known as David Bowie’s right hand man in his glam era, guitarist Ronson also worked with Hunter, Lou Reed, John Mellencamp and another eclectic Canadian act...The Payolas. Mick Ronson passed from cancer in 1993.

In all, Ian Thomas recorded nine solo studio albums, three as a member of The Boomers and three more with Lunch At Allen’s. The latter, named after a Toronto pub, is a collaboration with Murray McLauchlan, Cindy Church and Marc Jordan.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day