Can-Con 45 Of The Day - February 16

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - February 16

Postby radiofan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:02 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 was a 1978 hit for Vancouver's STONEBOLT ... "I Will Still Love You" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YWMNqJN1Nc

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - February 16

Postby Richard Skelly » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 am

Memory is a tricky thing. I’m pretty sure I was at ground zero when Stonebolt got their big break. Back around 1977, Johnny Rivers hit Vancouver to play some raucous dates at the Body Shop Cabaret. I interviewed Johnny, getting to know his touring manager Walter Stewart in the process. At the time, Johnny ran a production company/record label called Soul City. After my interview, Walter mentioned how bowled over they were with the calibre of unsigned talent on the Lower Mainland. It was probably during that week when Stonebolt and Walter shook hands on a development deal.

A year later, I Will Still Love You soared up North American charts, also establishing Stonebolt in some foreign markets, particularly Japan. Walter Stewart co-produced the band. I don’t know if Johnny Rivers had a piece of the action. Stewart and co-producer J.C. Phillips (co-composer of Sugarloaf’s Green-Eyed Lady) weren’t stingy. String arrangements by veteran Jimmie Haskell bolstered tracks on the first Stonebolt album.

The album and standout single I Will Still Love You came out on the fledgling Parachute label. It was run by ex-UNI boss Russ Regan. Famous for luring Neil Diamond away from tiny Bang Records in the late ‘60s, Regan was always a 45s man. Indeed, Parachute apparently sold a lot more copies of I Will Still Love You than its modest #29 peak position on Billboard’s Hot 100 might suggest.

No doubt it was a heady experience for the five bar-band veterans comprising Stonebolt. The band’s core—Ray Roper (guitar), Danny Atchison (bass) and Brian Lousley (drums)—were high school chums who ended up in covers band Perth Amboy. In forming Stonebolt, they attracted ace keyboardist John Webster and vocalist David Wills (who had been fronting Seattle-based Shaker).

Stonebolt moved on to RCA for its followup album in 1979. The following year, Webster quit to join Tom Cochrane’s new band Red Rider. Years after breaking up, a reconstituted Stonebolt re-recorded old hits because some of the early master tapes were AWOL. I wonder if that was linked to the disappearance of Vancouver studio Total Sounds West where much of the first album was cut? A mystery, to be sure.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Before your Discumentary writing days Richard, Ray Roper worked at NW as a board op. In his time there, him and Stonebolt spent many evenings rehearsing in the Production 1 studio at NW.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Neat factoid about Stonebolt guitarist Ray Roper and CKNW, especially his after-hours use of the studio.

Back in the early ‘70s, I and other CYVR (soon renamed CITR) members would occasionally woodshed and tape some songs. Of course, Winnipeg broadcast executive Bob Burns used his tv station’s soundstage after hours to record Shakin’ All Over for local up-and-comers Chad Allan & The Reflections. Quality Records opted to spark national interest by switching the band’s name to Guess Who? and the rest was history.

I believe Ray Roper was a British ex-pat. Although Stonebolt singer David Wills previously fronted Seattle band Shaker, I couldn’t determine if he was an American or just moonlighted down there.

Finally, given Ray’s board-op background, wonder if that grind inspired Stonebolt song titles All By Myself, Do It Right (or) Do It Again and Don’t Ya Hide It.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day