Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 13

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 13

Postby radiofan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1974 ... a mid 70's hit from Gordon Lightfoot ... "Carefree Highway" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewhM7I9gD4U

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 13

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Played this a thousand times.

I started out loving Lightfoot - but after 'Edmund Fitzgerald,' I was done.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm

I quite liked "Edmund Fitzgerald".

The single "Summer Slime of Life" was probably what broke my love of Lightfoot. It grew old awfully fast.

But I really liked, and still do, the next LP: Don Quixote. So, obviously, my interest in Lightfoot came and went based on the quality of the material. Before "Summer", I think I liked pretty much everything he ever recorded, not counting his pre-Bob Dylan-influenced material. Chateau released one of his early (circa 1962) works in the summer of 1972 and I was seriously not impressed.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Summer Slime of Life...please. Great song by Gord, not a big hit but a nice change for him. Summer Side of Life, when we were young and anything was possible. Anyone could relate to this. "There were no illusions on the summer side of life, only tenderness." Wish I heard this on oldies radio once in a while..never hear it ever.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Always prefered the newer version of Canadian Railroad Trilogy which was on Gord's Gold. This version was lush with strings and orchestration and Gord nailed it on vocals. Although never released as a single (don't think the original from 1967 was either) should be played on oldies radio occasionally, but again nah..at least not where I live.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Fair enough. I probably felt the way that you do about the song when it first came out, but I heard it too many times. Some songs, especially those that repeat the chorus so many times without any change to the way it is sung or the music behind it, go beyond boring to annoying. At least, to me.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:39 am

Think it was the late Dave McCormick who chuckled in relating Gordon’s mispronunciation of ‘Salinas’ in his cover of Me And Bobby McGee. Don’t think Gord’s single of the Kris Kristofferson-penned classic even charted on Billboard. I seriously doubt that a minor fluffed delivery of one California place name was to blame. But Gordon had seamless, error-free delivery on his future hits, including Carefree Highway.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 am

The amount of airplay is such a funny thing. All my years on air at various A/C, MOR and Top 40 radio stations, can't really say any of them overplayed Gord or Anne Murray for that matter. The only time we overplayed Anne would be in December with Christmas music. I always thought Carefree Highway or Summer Side of Life or any solid A/C song was good to lead into a newscast. Sort of got the audience ready for information. The "fun" songs came after the news! Always remember the aircheck of CKLW after a hard hitting 20/20 news package, ripping into the next hour with Frankenstein by Edgar Winter. Classic top 40 radio.
paterson
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day