Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 21

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 21

Postby radiofan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1972 ... Fludd and "Get Up, Get Out & Move On" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdYLhBY9XA

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - March 21

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:18 am

Get Up, Get Out & Move On really kicked butt compared to Fludd’s best known hits Turned 21 and Cousin Mary.

The latter two songs evoked British music-hall charm. Get Up just rocked...loudly. And therefore it wasn’t a hit. Flat-out rock tunes seldom are. Paul McCartney may occasionally perform Helter Skelter, but most Beatles fans roar far louder for We Can Work It Out. So it goes.

Per usual, Get Up was written by Fludd co-founders Brian and Ed Pilling. The 1978 death of Brian Pilling from leukemia complications put an end to Fludd. Group bassist recast himself as Goddo, performing with a band under the same name.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:47 am

Richard Skelly wrote: Get Up, Get Out & Move On really kicked butt.....just rocked...loudly. And therefore it wasn’t a hit. Flat-out rock tunes seldom are. Paul McCartney may occasionally perform Helter Skelter, but most Beatles fans roar far louder for We Can Work It Out. So it goes.

The observation put me in mind of Queen and how their biggest charted hits were decidely pop-leaning, including You’re My Best Friend, Killer Queen and Crazy Little Thing Called Love.
Where as Queen “rock” fans, myself included, will ALWAYS crank it up to 11 anytime Tie Your Mother Down or Keep Yourself Alive comes over the car speaker. Neither of those you will ever hear except for on a pure classic rock station and even then, only those that play some deeper cuts.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pm

When I was in grade 12 I was one of the students that organized dances. Our dances were very poorly attended because we couldn't afford "known" bands to play on a Friday night, or we just played records. We convinced the principal to try a dance on a school night on Thursday since the rates for good groups were a lot less earlier in the week. He reluctantly agreed but if the school received complaints from parents about dances on a school night we would need to go back to Friday.

The first band we booked on Thursday was Fludd. Attendance the month before was about 120 and with Fludd we zoomed up to about 900 at the dance. Not bad since the school had about 1200 students. Fludd rocked the house and played all of their radio hits to that point, Turned 21, Cousin Mary and of course Get Up Get Up and Move on and a few others that were heard on FM radio. They were loud and we turned a nice profit. For the next three months we had our monthly dances on Thursdays and booked bands that the students would have heard on the radio. The next band we were able to book was A Foot in Coldwater and they were even more popular than Fludd.. With these bands it wasn't really a dance since virtually nobody was dancing, more like a concert.

I know kind of a pointless post but just a memory.
paterson
Advanced Member

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Fludd and A Foot In Coldwater. An exceptional one-two combo.

Interestingly, both bands recorded for Daffodil Records. Also home to King Biscuit Boy, Crowbar, Klaatu and a pre-Red Rider Tom Cochrane, Daffodil had a great roster.

Vancouver music historian Rob Frith has a huge collection of posters and playbills that he posts on Facebook. Today he included a couple of Chilliwack posters of yore. One was for a 1973 gig at New Westminster Senior Secondary. It was an evening performance that had tickets sold through Concert Box Offices. Obviously the school district got rent. But I wondered if the school or student council got a cut? Or some free tickets and promo albums?
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Postby paterson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Yes Daffodil was a bit of a contender back in the day. I went on Discogs on line and they released Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces in Canada on their label. I do remember when I was in radio that Itchycoo Park was on Daffodil. You are right they did have a nice roster of solid Canadian bands.

Fludd and A Foot in Cold Water was our high mark. We also booked the band Wednesday which was more of a teen pop band, they had a few "hits" most remembered for a remake of Teen Angel which also charted on Billboard. Wednesday wasn't a bad live band and again was heavier than their radio songs'. But I am so embarrassed to admit that we really blew it BIG TIME for a little band called Bachman Turner Overdrive.

Brave Belt had disbanded and had just regrouped as Bachman Turner Overdrive. We had never heard of them and didn't make the connection to the Guess Who and the fact that Brave Belt had a so so hit with Dunrobin's Gone. We booked a band called Chester that had a bubblegum song called Make My Life a Little Bit Brighter which was popular at the time. Big mistake. Chester had no game and played their one hit three times during the concert. And of course BTO about six months later was huge!!

The Music Shoppe was the agency that we booked the bands through and they were pretty good to us. They would give us a heads up who was available on the Thursday we were going to be having a dance, and most had a quick turn around time. Also they were a little flexible on price so you could negotiate. We were highschool kids and I just wish that they had pushed Bachman Turner Overdrive more to a couple of green 17 year old lads from Fergus, Ontario. Every so often I see my friend Lindsay and we always have a good laugh about the big one that got away.
paterson
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day