Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 5

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - April 5

Postby radiofan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1981 ... from April Wine's Nature Of The Beast LP, "Just Between You And Me" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4S3CV9hu6E

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - Apr

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Just Between You And Me worked as a title for one of April Wine’s most enduring hits. It was also put to use for Myles Goodwyn’s 2017 autobiography.

I’m no literary critic, but it kind of sagged with too many colloquialisms like “hey folks”. I would’ve apprciated more meaty details on how particular songs took shape in the studio. By Myles’ telling, April Wine suffered innumerable cock-ups due to decisions by management and its affiliated Aquarius Records label. Myles doesn’t explain, though, why the band never sought to cut ties and start fresh with someone like, say, Bruce Allen.

The book does shine though in fleshing out the history—good and bad—of on-again/off-again bassist Jim Clench. The burly four-stringer passed away in 2009, three years after taking his second exit from the group. (In between, Clench recorded and toured with BTO and did some early Loverboy sessions.) Myles devotes many pages to Jim’s early days in the band and his crucial role in sticking with April Wine when the band essentially splintered during its third album, Electric Jewels.

Goodwyn also gives strokes to Clench’s successor, Steve Lang who became—of all things—a financial advisor after April Wine’s acrimonious breakup in the 1980s. Sadly, Lang—who prospered in his second profession—died shortly after the tome hit bookshelves.

Long before the book, Myles Goodwyn was talking retirement and informally seeking a frontman replacement. Having embraced sobriety, he now seems re-energized. A Goodwyn solo album, chock full of blues collaborations, is coming out. And he has spoken of one more April Wine studio album in 2019, fourteen years after the last group effort.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day