Can-Con 45 Of The Day - May 29

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - May 29

Postby radiofan » Mon May 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1970 ... Blood, Sweat & Tears and "Hi-De-Ho" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_gY82cgg4k

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - May 29

Postby Richard Skelly » Mon May 28, 2018 11:44 pm

For a moment, forget about Blood Sweat And Tears final Top 20 hit. During Game 1 of the Stanley Cup showdown between Las Vegas and Washington teams, I distinctly heard a different Hi-De-Ho echoing to the rafters. ‘Twas from the Cab Calloway song Minnie The Moocher...either Cab’s original or a decent cover version.

Calloway’s song was from the Hi-De-Ho movie which featured an all-black cast. A couple of decades after that 1947 flick, Carole King and first husband Gerry Goffin were inspired to write a song actually called Hi-De-Ho. It too had a sense of rising-above-odds optimism.

Along with Lucretia MacEvil, it was one of two charting singles from Blood Sweat And Tears III. The previous BS&T album spawned three massive hits—You’ve Made Me So Very Happy, And When I Die and Spinning Wheel. Each in turn peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Hi-De-Ho got to #14 while Lucretia never rose beyon #29.

The slide continued with subsequent releases. One theory for the diminishing returns was revulsion by some industry bigwigs at the group cooperating with the Nixon administration to stage a State Department-sponsored goodwill tour behind the Iron Curtain. Skeptics wondered if an expedited Green Card for Canadian lead singer David Clayton-Thomas was part of the deal. Despite his meteoric rise to BS&T fame, David had a criminal record back in Ontario. Without a Green Card he was vulnerable, at any moment, to apprehension and deportation.

In my opinion, David and his colleagues got a bum rap. State Department of both Republican and Democratic persuasion had long tapped jazz bands to show off made-in-America music to foreign audiences. No original members in the current Blood Sweat And Tears, but the band has always been—first and foremost—a jazz act.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day