Surprise Bonus for Tom Jeffries

Surprise Bonus for Tom Jeffries

Postby radiofan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:37 am

I've come across a couple of items in the archives that Tom isn't aware of yet ...

Tom Jeffries CFUN Aircheck May 8, 1984

And from the Toronto days ...

Tom Jeffries CFTR Jingle

Thanks for sharing your stories Tom ... enjoy these audio memories!

Thanks to Sharkey for the CFTR jingles!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Surprise Bonus for Tom Jeffries

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I had not heard my Shotgun jingle since 1978.

It means a lot to me to have a clean CFUN aircheck now, too.
Casey White and I had a lot of fun.
CFUN, was aptly named.

Cheers!
Last edited by Tom Jeffries on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby craigfee » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:29 am

radiofan wrote:I've come across a couple of items in the archives that Tom isn't aware of yet ...

Tom Jeffries CFUN Aircheck May 8, 1984

And from the Toronto days ...

Tom Jeffries CFTR Jingle

Thanks for sharing your stories Tom ... enjoy these audio memories!

Thanks to Sharkey for the CFTR jingles!

Absolutely incredible to hear this aircheck! I logged a ton of hours listening to Tom on CFUN as a kid growing up in Pitt Meadows. It was truly an honour to cross paths with him briefly at Rock 101 a few years ago.

I really wish the "True Radio Stories" series could continue. I've loved every bit of it. Thank you for sharing, Tom!
craigfee

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:32 am

Craig - how kind. You were VERY nice to me at CFMI.....and I am delighted you enjoyed the radio stories.

I had decided to end here, but after discussions with RadioFan, we shall continue the stories, soon.

Thanks for everything, Craig, and I am glad you are missing the mess at the Black Tower. I was treated very well there, but - that was then.

Cheers!
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby SteveLegault » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:38 am

Tom Jeffries wrote:Craig - how kind. You were VERY nice to me at CFMI.....and I am delighted you enjoyed the radio stories.

I had decided to end here, but after discussions with RadioFan, we shall continue the stories, soon.

Thanks for everything, Craig, and I am glad you are missing the mess at the Black Tower. I was treated very well there, but - that was then.

Cheers!

I never had the pleasure of working with you Tom, but your story was poignant, articulate, and in many ways familiar.

It's amazing how many experiences, albeit at different places and times, that we all share.

Thank you again, was an interesting and riveting read
SteveLegault
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:50 am

Steve, you are most welcome and I am delighted to get a thumb’s up. My pleasure - and thanks again to my bro RadioFan for giving me a chance. Cheers!
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:51 am

What a great find for you Sir Thomas ..... I'm envious!

To hear J. J. Richards was a treat too .....

A little scumbag broke into my house and swiped a couple of boxes of cassette tapes, all my LP collection,and my 10 speed racing bike .... the tapes were all my best airchecks. I sure wish I could have had a few minutes with him in a locked room with a tire iron.

It's small comfort that they caught the little swine and I had the pleasure of pressing charges and watching him be found guilty, then sentenced to 6 months in the slammer for ripping off me and several other people.

Of course the little ass just threw the tapes away.

Scum ....
Last edited by Anotherwpgguy on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:54 am

Oh man, all those tapes. I have NOTHING, except for today's post! I had a ton of air checks, but my ex threw all my memories away, before I had a chance to gather them up.

I am glad you caught the thief.

Creep.

Have a great day!

*AWG is one of the best radio artists I ever met....and I am glad we continue our friendship 40 years later.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 am

That was terrific listening to that Tom Jeffries et al aircheck.

I'm a bit of an outsider here. I was especially pleased to hear JJ Richards in there. At the end of 1983 I was called down to the station offices where JJ presented me with a cheque for $1000 for the best news tip of the year. That was fairly big money for radio promos in those days and I'm not sure how long thereafter it continued. At some point I will recount all that went into that news tip but I can add that CKNW turned it down flat when I phoned in around 5:30 am. CFUN immediately understood the story line, I was told to wait a minute and was then put directly on air. That led to other media calls later that day (including an appearance with Bill Good on a noon CBC TV news broadcast). I was on with various CFUN news people for two days. It was a wonderful experience. Of course I was disillusioned when I saw the size of the newsroom, having formed a mental picture of a vast area filled with tape recorders and news tickers.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:50 am

CFUN was a VERY modest station - and the newsroom wasn't exactly Network size - but JJ and his team made it hum. Kathy Danford, Drew Snider, David Palmer, Jon McComb, Bob Ireland.....I could go on.
I am glad you got treated well, by our team. JJ was, and is, one of most literate and interesting guys in the world.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for those names ... I'm thinking it was David Palmer who recognized the value of the news tip. He put me on air. JJ Richards was for me the epitome of a news man.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:54 pm

I neglected to mention BR Bradbury - the man from the State of Washington, commuted to do morning news. He was a cigarette smoking, old style radio guy. I apologize for missing a mention, earlier. He was a VERY good newsman.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Radio As It Was - True Radio Stories by Tom Jeffries