What Is Wimp?

Sean Ross is Edison Research’s Vice President of Music and Programming. A longtime industry observer, Ross works with Edison’s radio and music industry clients, offering strategic analysis and music knowledge that goes beyond the numbers.

What Is Wimp?

Postby radiofan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:48 am

Ross On Radio: What Is Wimp?

By Sean Ross, New York | June 23, 2014 7:10 AM EDT

Everybody likes some wimpy songs, just not the same ones.

As a researcher working with radio stations, one of the things I've always done for clients is to review their music test lists in hopes of coming up with other songs that might be worth testing. I always take my cues from the songs that are already on the PD's list. Inevitably, I suggest something that the program director is completely unwilling to consider playing. It's usually about something at the older/softer end of the format. And it's always a little bewildering.

"We're trying to modernize, and get away from all the softer, older music," responded one AC PD a few years ago. It was a legitimate objective. And one I would have gladly supported. But he was testing three Michael Bolton ballads.

Even before that, it was abundantly clear that programmers were subjective about what music they consider wimpy. Everybody has some softer, older music he or she likes. Everybody has some softer older music he or she considers reprehensible. Often the two are of a piece. Listeners have their own inconsistencies, but they don't always line up with programmers' own perceptions.

Read the full article at: http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/n ... at-is-wimp
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Return to Sean Ross On Radio