Chapter One; The Future Of Radio ?

Re: Chapter One; The Future Of Radio ?

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:24 pm

The later (mid 70's) incarnation of the Phrase That Pays was simply "I listen to CFUN". As I recall, however (before my time there) the first one out of the gate in 73 was "CFUN is back".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Hand my friend from Washington a cigar.

That "CFUN is back" was the the launch for 5 grand and "I listen to CFUN" was the phrase that pays....for the thousand.

Thanks for reminding us - Chuck took the same promo over to KISS -FM and it smoked again.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:09 pm

The Future of radio - Addenda -

The new iPhone 6S is my newest "Holy Cow" piece of hardware. I added Tunein - and have a zillion stations, in sterling quality, for a princely 6 bucks a month.

Why have a radio?

I don't know anyone who listens to radio, for much more than Traffic ( and in my case, I still like listening to Red Robinson, too) - but, I have a sinking feeling the job layoffs are going to accelerate.

I had my mind bent, when Julie and I were in Paris. Everyone uses their Cellphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, and listened to what THEY wanted, from anywhere, as they drank their Starbucks. I realized that the old model of radio is really dead.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:59 pm

The tunein app has no monthly charge that I'm aware of. You buy it once and that's it. New cars have internet built in and I suspect many of them will have the tunein app built in before long.
Between live streaming and podcasts there really isn't any point to OTA radio.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:33 pm

OTA Radio is in transition - Tunein has a premium stream and a monthly charge....

Either way, it works for me.

The TV business is in the cross hairs and so is Cable. Netflix and YouTube have changed the paradigm.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby skyvalleyradio » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Our 2009 SUV has both CD/DVD play + mp3/device play via 3.5 mm mini-plug input. Neither my wife nor I use the radio at all except for a quick newscast & traffic check if we are in one of the cities. I check for DX on both AM & FM while at ferry terminals & on the boats to kill time. Otherwise, the vehicle's deluxe audio system is playing our music. Radio has become a dinosaur because of it's refusal to serve us dinosaurs! Nothing like Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" rattling the speakers while flying through Allison Pass, Jackass Mtn. or Cayoosh Summitt!! :yahoo:
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:41 pm

This is sort of becoming a thread - Radiofan and I have an on going discussion on where radio "fits in" in this wireless era. More often than now and then, the kids I meet and even cabbies, clerks etc. all seem to give two hoots.
The big money bets on radio could be a disaster. Nice time to short Media stocks and watch the biggies sink? Look at Rogers debt load or how crummy Corus is doing - could they be a canary in the coalmine?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:12 pm

"Is there anyone who knows how this works?"

I am sure that some frustrated Sales guy or over worked PD is asking what the hell is going on, as they watch their bottom line shrink.

The ratings are coming out this week.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:01 am

i've noticed with interest on this board over the past few months two things.

(1) pretty much an absence of any discussion good, bad or indifferent of terrestrial radio.

(2) an even GREATER absence of any still in the biz staunchly defending the state of the industry today.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK CORPORATES...coz no one know better how to run things than you pinhead bean counters.

PS: My Tuned-In App is where it's at :carrot:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:00 am

What! You mean that you don't get excited by all the branding changes that have occurred in radio over the last few weeks.

Personally, I have trouble deciding which cliche is the most appropriate.
"Lipstick on a Pig"
"Rearranging Deck Chairs on the Titanic"
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:23 pm

Best wishes to Don Shafer and the staff of Roundhouse FM, as they get set to start a new adventure. We all wish you well.
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving. All Blessings to you and your Family.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Tom Jeffries Book Deux