Chapter 8 - "Time is fleeting".

Chapter 8 - "Time is fleeting".

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:45 pm

I know that saying 'time flies" is trite, but in the last few years, it has taken on a new meaning for me.

Makes me realize how LUCKY and BLESSED I was, and I am VERY GRATEFUL.

I realized that my buds and I started rocking 4 decades plus ago - but it seems impossible.

On this very day in 1972, I was walking to CKVN, (soon to become CFUN again), on a night, just like this evening, and hardly a car was on Broadway. From every open window came the voice of Foster Hewitt. Team Canada was about to makes Sports History. I can still recall it like it was last month. Yet, I can't remember what happened last week.

The first night on the CKVN board, and getting shown how to really do it, by J. Lee Smith, is still crystal clear and that happened over 40 years ago.

CFTR was all work and it was 36 years ago - yet I can still see my ops smiling and laughing.

I could spend weeks talking about CFUN and 97KISS-FM.

Thank GOD, I had some time with Nikki Ozinski (my brilliant op), on "The CKNW Weekend Morning News".

I miss it all. It went so fast. The reason I note this: I hope this warning to younger media types, helps them to savour every shift. The people is what you will feel the most. I worked with some of the finest people in the world. I could spend a month telling you how much I came to depend on and like my Traffic partners, Joanne Sutton, Katie Rebak and so many others.

The jocks? Incredibly talented. I worked with NICE people, too. Yes, it was competitive - but it was a team and we had each others back.

My wish is that it Radio stays like that. To hell with accountants. Give me real people, who give a damn about getting great radio done.

Thanks for the memories - like I quoted Paul Simon before - and it still sticks - "Preserve your memories, that's all that's left you". ("Old Friends"). I mean, how can you describe the kindness and kinship of a guy like my pal Jack Casey? We still talk.

Sadly - most of my buddies live across the world. I know there are many I will never see again. I am OK with that, because they know how much I care about them and how grateful I was for their comradeship, and helping our efforts pay off.

The best to you all. It was great.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Chapter 8 - "Time is fleeting".

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Addenda:

I really found that retiring is NOT great, if you cut yourself off.

I found some relief with Facebook- and have reconnected with many great people.

I cannot tell you in pure numbers, how many KILLER broadcasters, sales and marketing people I worked with - but I worked with the best. Tom Lucas, Freddie, Rob Collins, Jim Hault, Red Robinson, Phil Mackesy, Barry O'Donnell, Randy Seabrook, Graydon McCue, Don Prentice, Neil Gallagher, Paul Ski, Al Pascal, at CFRA, Chuck McCoy, Russ McLoud (*a great guy and jock), Jon McComb, Nikki Omen, Dale Buote, Coleen Troy, Joanne Sutton, Cathy Baldazzi, JJ Richards, Dee Lippingwell (The best shooter in da biz) Darren Grieve, Katie Rebak, Jim Brady, Bob Saint, twice - Nelson Millman, Curtis Staples, J. Lee Smith, Tricia Hanna, Robin Hagenbuck.

Special love for the late Marc Webber and Bob Merchant, and my much loved friend, Gord Robson - gone too soon.

I could go on for months. I deserved NONE of my good fortune in working with these brilliant folk - but I'll take it.

Like I said in the earlier post - make hay while the sun shines - because the career will blast by.

I hope you are as blessed as I was.

You have my explicit best wishes, for reading my ramblings.

Thanks.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Tom Jeffries Book Deux